Cinnamon is one of the most former known spices in the world. The Cinnamon comes from a tree and was originally discovered in Sri Lanka thousands of years ago. It is one of the most nutritious spices and it is also rich in several healing properties. Cinnamon also has anti oxidants properties. The numerous benefits of cinnamon cannot be stated, they can only be experienced, however, to start with here are some of the health benefits of cinnamon.
1. Controls Cholesterol: several studies have proved that only half a teaspoon of cinnamon everyday can reduce cholesterol. Cinnamon can also reduce the bad cholesterol or LDL as well as fatty acids in the blood known as triglycerides.
2. Aids in treating Diabetes: Cinnamon helps in reducing the blood sugar level and improving insulin sensitiveness. With improved insulin resistance it is easier to control weight and the risk of heart disease are also reduces. Again all these benefits can be experienced by including half a teaspoon of cinnamon in everyday diet.
3. Heart Diseases: Cinnamon makes the cardiovascular system strong thus reducing the chances of heart diseases. Some researchers have acknowledged that the calcium and fiber from cinnamon shields a person against heart problems.
4. Fight cancerous cells: A research conducted at United States Department of Agriculture in Maryland shows that cinnamon reduces the growth of leukemia and lymphoma cancerous cells. Calcium and fiber in cinnamon helps in eliminating bile, which saves the colon cells from damage thereby decreasing the chances of colon cancer.
5. Improves tooth health: cinnamon is still used as a herbal remedy to cure toothache and bad breath. Chewing on small pieces of this spice or even gargling with cinnamon water is a popular mouth freshener amongst the alternate medicine enthusiasts.
6. Eases Respiratory Diseases: Cinnamon is used to cure mild as well as severe colds. While suffering from cold you should mix ¼ tsp cinnamon powder with ¾ teaspoon honey before sleeping at night till the cold disappears completely. The same concoction can also be used to cure other respiratory diseases such as flu, congestion and sore throat.
7. Tonic for the brain: Cinnamon is an excellent food for the brain as it enhances the activity performing capability of the brain. It aids in curing memory loss as well as depression. Studies have concluded that smelling on cinnamon stick can enhance performance of cognitive functions and makes one more alert and improves concentration power.
8. Eases menstrual cramps: Cinnamon eases the menstrual symptoms such as menstrual cramps and related feminine troubles.
9. Digestive Aid: Cinnamon is an excellent digestive aid and for this very reason it should be added to almost every dish you make. Apart from making the food more delicious it also helps in digesting it. Cinnamon is extremely effective in curing indigestion, feeling of nausea, stomach discomfort, puking, diarrhea and gastric troubles. It effectively eliminates the stuck up gas from the intestines and the stomach. It also helps in curing morning sickness during pregnancy. Cinnamon is an excellent tonic for enhancing the digestion.
10. Cures urinary tract infections: People who include cinnamon in their day today diet will always have lower occurrences of the urinary tract infections. Cinnamon is also a natural diuretic and it aids in frequent secretion of urine.
Like someone said that too much of something can also be bad, similarly do not overdo on your cinnamon intake. Just keep it handy while you are cooking and sprinkle a little where ever possible.