Medicinal herbs provide natural and safer remedies for dozens of common ailments. Therefore, the use of herbal medicines is gaining popularity among patients.
Diabetes, the silent killer, affects 387 million people in the world and likely to go up by an additional 205 million by 2035. Apart from routine exercises and lifestyle changes below are certain home remedies that you can try.
Herbal Remedies for Diabetes
Many of the common herbs and plant spices are known to have blood sugar lowering properties. This makes them useful as medicines for people with or at high risk of Type 2 Diabetes.
- Aloe Vera – drinking aloe vera juice every morning is among the most beneficial remedy for diabetics. It has been clinically proven to help assist the body in reducing glucose levels. Scientific studies have shown that aloe vera helps the body to metabolize sugars and even lower glucose levels in people who are hyperglycemic.
- Fenugreek – this can be taken by powdering fenugreek seeds and mixing with water or directly taking the available supplements. It is learnt to slow the absorption of sugars in the stomach and stimulate insulin. Thus it helps lower blood sugar in diabetics.
- Cinnamon – It lowers blood sugar by decreasing Insulin resistance. Studies suggest that intake of cinnamon in the diet of people with type 2 diabetes will reduce risk factors associated with diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.
- Bitter Gourd (karela) – Having ½ a cup of karela juice on empty stomach in the morning has shown to control/prevent diabetes. The most promising effect of this herb is that it influences glucose metabolism not just in one organ or tissue but rather all over the body. It contains a chemical which acts like insulin. And, that helps reduce blood sugar levels.
- Jamun fruit (Jambul) – this fruit is considered as an effective medicine for diabetes because of its effect on pancreas. You can make a powder of by drying its seeds and have this powder with water at least twice a day. Diabetics must eat jamun daily to control their sugar levels. This ensures an increase in the insulin activity.
- Guava – guavas are considered to be very good for diabetics. Having this fruit regularly reduces the cholesterol and brings down the high blood pressure. Its high level of dietary fiber makes it the best pick to regulate the absorption of sugar by the body. This decreases the chances of rapid rise and drops in insulin and glucose in the body.
- Garlic – It has been learnt that those who took a garlic supplement with their daily diabetes medications had better control over blood sugar levels. Diseased/ abnormal heart muscle is the leading cause of death among diabetes patients. Garlic oil may help protect diabetes patients from this condition.
- Turmeric – this queen of spices is very useful in managing diabetes. Curcumin present in turmeric helps to balance blood sugar and glucose levels. It is also useful in keeping the triglyceride and insulin levels low effectively.
- Neem – chewing raw neem leaves or drinking neem juice regularly is beneficial to keep diabetes in control. Neem keeps a check on circulation problem in diabetes.
- Salacia – the most famous herb that is being used to treat diabetes for thousands of years now. Chemicals present in salacia prevent sugars in food from being absorbed by the body resulting in lowered blood glucose and insulin levels. You can crush the herb and drink its juice every morning.
Go for herbal remedies and get all healthier the natural ways. They sure do no harm and more good.
Have you had any great experiences with any of the herbal medicines that you would like to share?