The common signs of cold include nose blockage, runny nose, soreness in the throat, cough, headache, sneezing fits and mild fever. The symptoms of flu are similar to that of cold except the person suffers from high fever and alternating bouts of chill accompanied by body pain, aches, tiredness and sweating.
How one catches cold or flu?
There are several viruses that cause flu or cold. They are transmitted from human to human by inhalation of infected drops that were sneezed or coughed out by an infected person and are breathed in by another person. The viruses are also transmitted by direct contact in the form of touch with an infected person.
Infection happens when the immunity power is low due to fatigue, stress, poor nutrition, no physical activities as well as smoking.
Various natural ways to prevent cold as well as flu:
1. Eat lots of green onions as well as leeks: These foods have herbal properties that help in preventing the occurrence of cold and flu. Leeks are an excellent source of iron, fiber, folic acids, manganese, Vitamin C and Vitamin B6.
Green onions are an excellent source of fiber, vitamin B6, Vitamin C, biotin and chromium. Green onions are also rich in Vitamin K, Vitamin B1 and folic acids. The onions also owe their health benefits to the presence of some organic sulfur compounds. You can cool a clear vegetable soup made of leeks and green onions with several other vegetables.
2. Garlic: Take a medium sized garlic clove and keep it in mouth after peeling it. Slowly and gently chew it to let the juice of garlic out. Place a new garlic clove in your mouth after every six hours. This method will help you get rid of every symptom of cold in a day or max to max two days time.
Garlic is rich in Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, selenium, manganese and a sulfur compound allicin. Studies have shown that allicin is helpful in fighting against cold, flu, candida yeast and stomach viruses.
3. Spicy Foods: To clear your blocked nose, eat some hot and spicy foods. That will help clear your blocked nose and nasal passage. Spicy foods act like nasal drops.
4: Lemon Balm Tea: Lemon balm tea makes a person sweat. It is good remedy for colds with mild fever. It also flushes out toxins from the human body.
5. Hot Vinegar and White wine mixture: Inhaling a mixture of hot vinegar or white wine helps in clearing chest congestion.
6. Lemon and Honey: Take a large lemon and gently roast it till it splits open. Squeeze it open and mix half teaspoon of honey in it. Have this mix once in every two hours until the soreness in the throat is gone.
7. Elderberry: Elderberry herbal supplement or elderberry tea is helpful in curing respiratory ailments. Studies indicate that having a dose of elderberry extract may be able to shorten the amount of time you are ill by half.
8. Mucilaginous herbs: Herbal teas of any mucilaginous herb like slippery elm or marshmallow help bring down the soreness of the throat by coating it.
9. Ginger Tea: Ginger tea is really helpful in curing cough. Ginger herbal supplements are also helpful.
10. Eucalyptus oil: eucalyptus oil is helpful in opening clogged nasal passages. Add some drops to hot water and inhale the steam.