PCOS or Polycystic ovary syndrome happens due to hormonal imbalance in women. PCOS can start as early as in the teens. It is marked by excessive levels of androgens or male hormones in the body. The exact cause of PCOS still remains uncertain. Its symptoms begin to show slowly.
Here is a list of symptoms of PCOS (not exhaustive):
- Excessive facial and body hair (hirsutism)
- Menstrual irregularities. You may have less or no menstrual bleeding or heavy and irregular bleeding.
- Hair loss
- Oily skin and acne flare ups
- Weight gain or insulin resistance
- Repeated miscarriages
However, symptoms of PCOS may vary from person to person. It is very important to diagnose this condition in time and start with the right treatment.
Natural remedies will provide supplementary help along with regular medication. However, ask your doctor before starting with any remedy to prevent interference with the ongoing medicines.
Here are some easy and effective natural remedies to manage PCOS symptoms:
- From aloe vera plant, cut a 2 inch piece. Peel the green part and wash it seven times. Eat this by adding 1 pinch each of cumin powder, pepper powder and turmeric powder.
- Take bark of mango tree and jaggery (40 grams each). Pound and mix this in half liter drinking water. Boil and reduce it to half. Filter and drink this liquid. Over bleeding and irregularity in menstruation will be eliminated.
- For PCOS associated with obesity, the following remedy would be beneficial: Put a few pieces of aloe vera in a jar containing honey. After a couple of days, this honey should be taken in the dosage of 1 spoon daily at bed time.
- Dietary changes will also make a great difference in managing PCOS. Add fennel seeds, asparagus and green leafy vegetables to your diet. Avoid brinjal, peas, peanuts, cauliflower, sea food, pickles, curd, chillies and bakery products.
- Mix 1 -2 tablespoons of flax seeds (after grinding) and add it to a glass of water. Drink it for a few months daily. Alternately, you can also add flaxseed to salads and soups.
- For PCOS related to excessive body and facial hair, the following remedy can be applied: Add 1 teaspoon of dried spearmint leaves to a cup of hot water. Let it boil on low heat for 5 to 10 minutes. Strain the liquid and drink it after lukewarm twice daily for a few weeks.
- For PCOS related with insulin resistance, follow the given remedy: Soak 3 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Take 1 tsp of these seeds with a little honey in the morning on an empty stomach. Take 1 tsp each ten minutes before lunch and dinner for a few weeks.
- Holy basil or good old ‘tulsi’ helps reduce the male hormone in the body. Eat 10-12 leaves of holy basil everyday in the morning. You can also sip basil tea throughout the day.
- Increase your Vitamin B intake. Quit smoking. Exercise regularly to reduce your body weight.
- Yogasanas like surya namaskara, padmasana, bhujangasana and sarvangasana are beneficial.
Take medical advice before starting with these remedial measures for managing PCOS. Live an active and healthy lifestyle.