If you think frequent headaches, anxiety, shortness of breath or feeling dizzy are common symptoms of high blood pressure or hypertension, then you are wrong.
Hypertension is basically a symptomless condition. This factor makes it quite dangerous to rely only on symptomatic diagnosis of high blood pressure.
Hypertension could go unnoticed for years and may cause stroke, heart failure, kidney failure or blindness. You should always get your blood pressure monitored and maintain a record to assess if you have hypertension. A blood pressure reading of 120/80 mm Hg or more is taken as normal.
- Pre hypertension 120-139/80-89 mm Hg
- Hypertension (stage 1) 140-159/90-99 mm Hg
- Hypertension (stage 2) 160 or more/100 or more mm Hg
When you think of hypertension, you visualize older people afflicted with it. But you would be surprised to know that youngsters in the age group of 16-34 years form one third of hypertensive population. Our lifestyles are to be blamed for this shift. And when one has hypertension, one needs to find remedies for it.
Let us discover what factors trigger hypertension:
- Excessive weight and lack of exercise: If you are overweight or obese you at risk for high blood pressure (HBP). A sedentary lifestyle with no aerobic exercise is another reason for it.
- Other ailments: If you have kidney or adrenal disease, it may lead to high blood pressure
- Prescription and recreational drugs: Intake of pain relievers, birth control pills etc. and illegal drugs like cocaine for recreation leads to hypertension.
- High salt intake: Processed foods like ready to eat noodles, pasta, canned foods, pickles, bakery items, burgers, pizzas, French fries etc. are high in sodium content. Their regular consumption may lead to high blood pressure due to excessive salt intake.
- Alcoholism and smoking: Drinking liquor and smoking are the worst ways to invite high blood pressure.
High blood pressure is not a disease, but a symptom of a disease according to Ayurveda. So, get a thorough check up done to diagnose the root cause of high blood pressure and then go for its cure.
Medicines are prescribed for hypertension. Let us explore natural remedies for the treatment of high blood pressure:
- Get active. Go for a brisk walk, dance or do aerobic exercises to boost your metabolism. It will increase your lung capacity and keep blood pressure under control. It can be a great cure for this disease.
- Munch a few raw almonds in the morning. They are good for your circulation and bring down high LDL cholesterol and high blood pressure. This works as a naturally effective treatment.
- Take a pinch of organic turmeric powder with milk. Turmeric is a natural blood thinner and helps regulate your blood pressure.
- Crush 1-2 raw garlic cloves and eat them in the morning on an empty stomach daily. Alternately, you can mix 5-6 drops of garlic juice with 4 tsp water and drink it twice a day.
- Drink a glass of lukewarm water with juice of half a lemon added to it. Take it on an empty stomach in the morning and it can be a great remedy for high blood pressure.
- Herbs can also be very effective for lowering the blood pressure. Soak 10 gmtriphala powder overnight in a glass container. In the morning, strain the liquid. Add 2 tsp honey to this liquid and drink it. Repeat for a few days to normalize your blood pressure.
- Make dietary changes. Reduce your salt intake. Drink lots of coconut water and use coconut oil for cooking. Eat foods rich in potassium like bananas, apricots, spinach, raisins, orange juice, zucchini etc.
- Eat one celery stalk with water daily. It contains a phytochemical that enhances blood circulation and lowers high blood pressure.
- Mix watermelon seeds and poppy seeds (khuskhus) in 1:1 ratio. Grind this mixture into a fine powder. Take 1 tsp of this mixture with water twice a day- early morning on an empty stomach and in the evening.
- Include Vitamin C rich foods as Vitamin C rich diet to cure hypertension.
- Drinka cup of beetroot/cabbage/lettuce juice daily to lower high blood pressure. It contains nitrates that help relax your arteries.
- Eat a cup of blueberries or strawberries daily. They are packed with antioxidants like anthocyanin that opens up your arteries and help reduce high blood pressure.
- Do pranayama (deep breathing exercises) and meditation regularly to keep your blood pressure under control. Yogasanas done under supervision are also effective.
Composition of Mukta Vati – The Ayurvedic Medicine for high blood pressure contains following herbs-
- Brahmi (Centella asiatica)
- Shankhapushpi (Convolvulus pluricalis)
- Arjuna Ghana (Terminalia arjuna)
- Gazoban (Onosma bracteatum)
- Jyotishmati (Celastrus paniculatus)
- Pushkarmool (Inula racemosa)
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Prawal Pishti (Corallium rubrum)
- Mukta Pishti (Calcinated shell of Pinctada margaritifera/Pearl Powder)
All of these above mentioned herbs are great to pacify hypertension.
MUKTA VATI is a fast acting and safe herbal treatment to
- Regulate High Blood Pressure
- Reduce Inflammation in the Body
- Protect the Heart
- Improve Memory
- Protect the Liver
- Purify Blood
- Relieve Stress and Anxiety
- Treat Insomnia
- Recharge the Mind
* If your BP is greater than 160/100 mmHG , you should take 2 tabs twice a day.
* If your BP is 150/90 mmHG, take 2 tabs twice a day.
* If your BP is 140/90 mmHg or your blood pressure rises occasionally, you can take 1 tab twice a day.
Go natural and change your lifestyle to keep hypertension at bay. Keep yourself relaxed, appreciate nature and stay positive to enjoy a healthy life!