Acne and Pimples – Let it not embarrass you!
Acne/Pimples on the skin are an inflammation of hair follicles and sebaceous glands which results in acne vulgaris. This is found mainly in young people who have oily skin. Older people who have a hormonal imbalance may have eruptions at a later age in life.
Chemical acne is caused by exposure to certain chemicals and oils. Chloracne is a form of acne caused by exposure to chlorinated hydrocarbon chemicals.
Corticosteroids and androgens, barbiturates increase incidence of acne.
As one spot heals, others tend to appear, some times rapidly. Healing spots fade to pink marks. In some cases, acne appears as small, depressed pits while in some keloid may form. Retinoid drugs help because these reduce oil production. Any chemical substance must be tested before use. Proper wash with sea salt water and hygiene helps the skin.
Pimples generally occur on face, but they could also be found on neck, back and shoulders as also other parts of the body. While it is a normal skin inflammation condition that affects many people, the bacterial which makes the area swell up and fill up with pus, needs to be kept under control till it resolves itself in time.
Severe cases need to be clinically examined by the doctor/expert dermatologist.
8 TIPS on how to prevent acne!
- This complaint must to be tackled from inside out – do not take it lightly, the marks could last a life time wherein the skin becomes pitted and uneven.
- Correct the incorrect food habits, such as oily rich foods, which affects our blood very much causing impurities. Especially avoid food and medicines that increase the body heat. This will avoid acne and other problems like eczema, psoriasis and other allergies.
- Hormonal issues must be clinically attended to by a doctor as soon as possible.
- Stress at work, home, school, college must be avoided.
- Heredity problems, if any, should be advised to the doctor.
- Watch what you eat – your eating habits reflect in your appearance.
- Eat green leafy vegetables and salads to lower the body temperature.
- One glass of warm water with lime juice on an empty stomach with help the body to lower the body temperature. This is beneficial if done early morning.
What you can do at Home
Try these 32 home remedies at home:
- Wash and cleanse all make up thoroughly before going to bed. Water alone will not help. You must use deep cleansing milk.
- Nutmeg powder added to raw milk and the paste applied on the pimples for about two hours is a very good natural remedy to cure pimples.
- Use turmeric paste on the acne – it will dry it out.
- Salt for application – two teaspoons of sea salt mixed with water and applied on the affected area with cotton, three times a day will aid to treat the problem of acne. Having the natural ability to reduce moisture, salt does wonders to your skin by drying out the oils. This eliminates chances of pores getting clogged, closes them and increases bacterial buildup.
- Ensure that sufficient water – 8 glasses ( 2 lts) are consumed every day.
- Aloe vera the wonder remedy for many diseases, is a good natural remedy. Apply the pulp of the leaves directly on the surface of the pimples. It is anti bacterial and prevents inflammation.
- Ensure that the skin is hydrated sufficiently to avoid the loose firmness elasticity and proper function so that dust and grime does not sink into the skin.
- Use organic body wash/soaps. Avoid using harsh agents on the skin. (soaps containing carbolic acid, menthol containing compounds)
- Wash hands frequently. The itchiness in a particular area gives the symptom that a pimple is to erupt shortly. Avoid touching the other parts of the body after scratching.
- A mixture of baking soda and water helps eliminate breakout and reduces inflammation. It is an exfoliator and helps remove dead skin cells. It also helps to reduce scars or acne marks. There are other juices/pastes such tomato juice, cucumber juice, oatmeal paste, sandalwood powder paste and rose water that will help.
- Almond powder mixed with rose water and a mixture of dry oats, honey and aloe vera gel when applied on the face, dried and washed off, will provide results.
- Use a natural face scrub: Mix sugar, vinegar, honey and extra virgin olive oil and apply on face to remove sebum, which is usually the trigger for acne.
- Lemon juice which is rich in vitamin C, helps the pimples dry faster. Apply the fresh lemon juice with a clean cotton swab on the pimples before going to bed. Be sure to use fresh lemon juice and not bottled juice which has preservatives.
- You can also mix one tablespoon of lemon juice with one teaspoon of cinnamon powder and put it on the pimples over-night. In the morning wash the skin well with lukewarm water. Do a patch test if you have a sensitive skin in all combinations.
- Juice extracted from citrus fruits like lemon, orange, etc. have natural astringent substances that constricts skin pores and controls sebum production. You can apply the fruit peels on the affected areas on a daily basis and leave it on for half an hour before washing off with clean water for best results. The fruit peels could be dried and stored and used as a scrub for your feet.
- Tea tree oil is excellent for treating acne (pimples). Do not use if you are sensitive to this oil. It has antibacterial properties that help fight the bacteria that cause these skin problems. The soothing properties help reduce the redness and inflammation of pimples. It also helps dry out blackheads and whiteheads. Dip a cotton swab in tea tree essential oil and dab it on the affected area. Rinse face after 15 to 20 minutes.
- To reduce inflammation, redness and swelling, wrap crushed ice or ice cubes and gently apply on the affected parts. It helps in improving blood circulation of the affected area, in tightening the skin pores, removing dirt and oil accumulated on the skin. Repeat the process after a few minutes.
- A paste made from sandalwood powder and cucumber juice, which has a natural toning and astringent effect on the facial skin, may be prepared and applied on the face. Leave until dry before washing off with cold, clean water. Repeat every day to prevent recurrence of acne.
- Apple cider vinegar – it has antibacterial and antifungal properties. Dilute a few teaspoons with half cup or quarter cup water, as it would be quite strong for the skin. Apply and wait for 15 minutes and then wash off.
- Herbal scrubbers may be used on a weekly basis.
- Thinly sliced garlic can be rubbed on the affected area.
- Egg white can be applied on the face as a facial mask. It reduces the oil and closes the pores in addition to drawing out the impurities. Apply the egg white with your fingers or a cotton swab. You will find the skin tightening. Leave it on for 10 minutes to about 1 hour. After that you will find your skin glowing.
- Cornstarch made into a paste and applied on the face will clear up the skin.
- Coconut oil is antibacterial and antifungal. It is extremely moisturizing and gentle. It helps fight the bacteria and reduces the redness. Massage the oil into your skin. Re-apply a couple of time per day.
- Foods rich in vitamin A are good in the control of acne. Take a supplement if required.
- When visiting a beauty salon ensure proper hygiene is maintained by the attendants. In case you have a break out of pimples do not go to the beauty salon, you may pick up more bacteria.
- Avoid being constipated.
- Keep your hands off your face, skin, body or body parts during the day and in public. Do not use another person’s towel. Remember it is not the colour of the skin that matters but the cleanliness of the person. Cleanliness is next to Godliness!
- Avoid sour food items like pickle, tamarind, junk food, sour curd, preserved food – check your compatibility as to what goes into your tummy; over a period of time you will know your body functioning.
- Avoid polluted air/breeze/hospitals – if this is not possible, cover your face, arms, legs and cleanse yourself immediately when you return home. Remember you will be carrying germs and dust from outside your home to your home – be considerate for the family when you return. In case you have a long dusty drive, use a little Vaseline around the nostrils – the dust and pollen will settle there and not enter the nose.
Be positive in your approach to having a healthy body, mind and soul. It could work wonders for you!