Sick feeling, nausea and cramping sensations in the lower abdomen- that excruciating pain of kidney stones is probably one of the worst pains ever.
What are kidney stones?
Kidney stones are solid masses of mineral salt deposits that are normally filtered through the kidney and emptied via urine. Stones are formed when high levels of calcium, sodium, uric acid or other crystal-forming substances build up in the urine to levels which the body cannot properly eliminate. These substances gather and chemically bond to each other forming a stone inside the organ.
Small kidney stones are able to pass out of the body in the urine.
They may go completely unnoticed by you. In such cases there is no requirement of any surgical methods. However, larger stones can not pass through the ureter to the bladder by their own. They cause bleeding, kidney damage and ongoing urinary tract infections. The stones stretch the ureter as they move toward the bladder. Thus they block the flow of urine and cause excruciating pain. In such cases surgical techniques are used to remove the stones.
Most of the small kidney stones can pass through the urinary system with plenty of water — 2 to 3 quarts a day.
You may also try some natural remedies to move the stone. Drinking sufficient water every day helps keep our bodies and kidneys well hydrated. This prevents the increase chances of an imbalance in the kidneys.
So while drinking plenty of water is of prime importance below are some additional remedies you could try at home for kidney stones.
- Pomegranate Seeds – Eating the seeds of the pomegranate for kidney stones has been used for years as an effective treatment. You can make horse gram soup and add pomegranate seeds to it. Take 1 cup of horse gram; add half a liter water and heat the mixture till it reduces to 1/5th its original. Strain and collect the soup. Add 2 tsp of crushed pomegranate and drink once a day.
- Barley – It is rich in dietary fiber which is required for the excretion of calcium in our urine. Regular consumption of barley water is considered as one of the most effective natural remedies for kidney stones. Barley water acts as a diuretic. Take one liter of fresh drinking water, add one tablespoon of barley seeds to it. Let it boil for 30 minutes at low flame till the volume reduces to half. You can add lemon juice or honey for taste and keep drinking through the day.
- Dandelion Root – The dandelion root has been used for years to treat and manage the symptoms associated with kidney stones. In addition to relieving the pain triggered by kidney stones, organic dandelion root functions in cleansing the urinary tract. For effective results, it is highly recommended that you take at least 500 milligrams of organic dandelion root two times in a day.
- Figs – Take two figs and boil along with one cup of water for 10 minutes. Take this water every morning on an empty stomach. This will help in melting the stones in the kidney. You can drink boiled fig water regularly for 1 month.
- Basil – It is a very effective herb & has strengthening effect on the kidneys. You can soak leaves of basil in water and leave it overnight. Extract juice from basil leaves, add honey and consume daily. One teaspoon of the juice is a right dosage. You can also eat basil leaves raw after washing them well in water.
- Kidney beans: Kidney beans are amongst the richest antioxidant foods. They contain lots of soluble and insoluble fiber and are low in fat. Remove the beans from the pods and boil in water for several hours. Strain the liquid in a muslin cloth and allow it cool for about eight hours. Strain the water again drink it every two hours for about one week to get rid of kidney stones.
Coffee, processed foods, sugar and too much red meat can cause the re-occurrence of kidney stones so it’s best to stay away or limit these foods.
Always ask your doctor before trying a home remedy for kidney stones.
If you want to read more, here's our list of 23 quick fixes for kidney stones and ayurvedic medicines that will take your pain away.