Actively trying for a baby? Problems conceiving?
Once you’ve set your heart on bringing your bundle of joy to the world, having trouble conceiving can lead to very anxious times. In fact, the presence of couples unable to conceive is an increasingly common scenario these days. This could be due to the stressful and chaotic lifestyles of young couples.
The absence of conception after one year of regular intercourse without the use of any contraceptive is defined as infertility.
Do you think infertility is only a woman’s problem? Then you are wrong. Often, difficulties with conception are related to issues with the male partner too.
- Sperm Morphology – When the sperms are not formed properly, meaning structurally they might be unfit for fertilization
- Sperm Motility – The sperms struggle to move properly through the cervical mucus and female reproductive tract
- Sperm Count – The semen ejaculated contains fewer sperm than normal thereby the likelihood of conception is lowered
Luckily, all these can be improved in several different ways with natural remedies and by bringing about certain day to day changes in the lifestyle.
- Improve diet – Diet has a big impact on sperm health and male fertility. Eating plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes can help boost fertility.
- No smoking/ drinking – Excessive alcohol consumption and smoking are two major reasons that can impact sperm motility. These bad habits affect the sperm count and overall sperm health in a negative manner.
- Maintain ideal weight – Obesity can be associated with a low sperm count and impotence, possibly because of higher temperatures caused by excess fat near the testes. Also, don’t deprive yourself of food because it leads to a loss of sex drive and structural changes to the reproductive tissue.
- Avoid tight fitting clothes – Avoid tight fitting undergarments and pants or shorts. The testicles need to keep the sperm at a healthy temperature (i.e. less than the body temperature). Tight underwear like briefs can keep the testicles from being able to hang and regulate their temperature. Additionally, ensure that your testes aren’t overheated, so stay out of hot tubs and keep overheated laptops off of your lap for prolonged periods. Bike riders also need a break.
- Include moderate exercise– Moderate exercise of 1 hour, 3-4 times a week is essential. On the other hand, exercising too much with little rest between extreme workouts or doing intense exercise activity on the weekends may harm the sperm. Also every day you could do 15-20 minutes of relation exercises like simple stretching, deep breathing or practice meditation.
- Herbal Remedies to Improve Sperm Count
- Shilajit – it is a wonderful herb used since ages to improve sperm quality. It works by reducing the number of free radicals and thereby boosting testosterone levels and sperm count.
- Ashwagandha – this simple ancient root has significant effects in improving the production of male hormones, sperm count and reducing stress.
- Flaxseed Oil – The ingredients within flaxseed oil helps keep the sperm healthy. It also balances the hormones and boosts fertility. It may also help with regard to male impotence. Grind the seeds and sprinkle over soup/ salad.
- Yam – The wild yam root wild yam improves natural progesterone in human body. It is also said to be an aid to male fertility as it improves blood flow to the reproductive organs.
- Walnuts – Reports have shown that consuming about 75 gms of walnuts everyday improved sperm vitality, motility and morphology. It was studied that they contain key nutrients that are essential in male reproductive health. Remember, walnuts are high in calories.
If you and your partner have been trying to get pregnant without success for a year, it is time to see a fertility specialist for a complete diagnostic work-up and treatment plan.