This summer as you bite into tasty mangoes, don’t miss out enjoying the nutritious melons as well. Being very low in calories and fats, musk melon helps you maintain your weight and also is a rich source of numerous health promoting phyto-nutrients and anti-oxidants. However, what is more astonishing is that these tiny seeds that you throw away are actually packed with gazillion health benefits.
Below are some reasons you must be aware of before you think of munching them.
- The B-vitamin group is high in these seeds. B vitamins are necessary for good metabolism, healthy nervous system and effective immune response. It is a very good energy booster because of the B group vitamins.
- Musk melon seeds are a good source of antioxidants and help in delaying the onset of degenerative diseases that come with age while keeping a check on blood cholesterol levels.
- Musk melon seeds are rich in plant-based protein and are of immense benefit to those who don’t consume meat and dairy.These crunchy seeds are a vegetarian’s answer to meeting the protein requirement.
- Calcium found in these tiny powerhouses is necessary for maintaining strong healthy bones and teeth. Calcium rich foods help in combating osteoporosis and boost bone density.
- Additionally, they are also good sources of magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, zinc and copper. Magnesium helps maintain healthy nerve signals, bones and muscle contraction. Phosphorus contributes to healthy bones and teeth. It is also necessary as it maximizes the benefits of calcium in the body.
- Vitamins A, C and E in these seeds help prevent macular degeneration in the eyes.
- They are believed to help in regulating the healthy blood-fat levels and wound healing.
- Studies have shown that eating musk melon seeds help with expelling intestinal worms and regulates proper digestion. Also, due to its high water and dietary fibers content it helps to get relief from constipation and other digestive disorders when consumed regularly.
- The omega-3 fatty acids contained in the seeds are essential for fighting cardiovascular diseases.
How to use melon seeds
- Roasted melon seeds are an inexpensive yet a healthy snack item. Before roasting them, rinse, drain, and pat them dry. You can then toss the seeds with olive oil. Add salt or other seasonings if you wish and roast till they turn crispy and golden in colour.
- You may also want to use them for preparing delicious dishes like the halwas, fudges or other sweets.
- They can also be crushed and used to thicken gravy of curries, or added to buns and flat breads.
Have you ever eaten melon seeds?