Erectile dysfunction is commonly termed as impotence. It is a man’s inability to get or sustain a proper erection during sexual intercourse.
Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
- Ageing, diabetes, and obesity.
- Hormonal imbalance like hyper or hypothyroidism, low testosterone levels.
- Neurological disorders like Parkinson’s, Alzheimer's, stroke, epilepsy, etc.
- Diseases affecting the cardiovascular system like hypertension, high cholesterol levels, and atherosclerosis.
- Psychological conditions like depression, anxiety, emotional disturbance, stress and problems in the relationship.
- Smoking, tobacco and alcohol consumption.
- History of surgery or injury and riding a bicycle for a long duration.
- Certain medications like antihypertensives, antidepressants, drugs used in treating ulcers and increased cholesterol levels.
Symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction
- Difficulty in getting and sustaining an erection.
- Decreased sexual desire.
- Few may experience pain.
Prevention and Management of Erectile Dysfunction
- If you are obese, try to lose excess weight.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol and tobacco consumption.
- Do regular exercise and be physically active.
- Practise yoga, meditation, and pranayama to manage stress, anxiety and depression.
- Take proper treatment and medications for your illness.
- Decrease intake of spicy, sour, and salted foods.
- Include ghee, milk, urad dal and nuts in your diet.
- Do regular oil body massage.
Even treatment procedures like Abhyanga, Shirodhara, basti and other panchakarma procedures are also beneficial.