Pic Credit: rusticroamermiablog.com
Does changing weather bring you an asthma attack?
An asthmatic attack happens when a triggering factor causes your bronchial tubes that carry oxygen to your lungs, to become narrowed down. This causes inflammation in your air passage making breathing difficult. This passage often fills up with mucus also. Inhaling and exhaling becomes very hard.
What are the common symptoms of asthma?
You may experience one or more of the following symptoms when an asthma attack occurs:
- Tightening of chest
- Wheezing sound as you breathe
- Coughing especially in the night hours or early morning
Asthma symptoms and triggers are different for different people. Let us know the common and uncommon triggers of asthma-
- Cold and flu inflammations.
- Changes in weather conditions.
- Allergens like dust mites, fungus, molds, pet hair etc.
- Work environment without proper ventilation.
- Cigarette smoke.
- Air pollution and strong smells.
- Stress and emotional flare ups.
- Exercising and physical exertion.
- Hormonal imbalance.
- Kapha aggravating foods like rice, sugar etc.
It is therefore advised to identify and avoid the conditions that triggers asthma.
Home remedies for Asthma
In case an asthma flare up happens you may apply the following home remedies-
- Take a glass of milk and mix a teaspoon of sugar in it. Add four long pepper to this milk and heat it. Drink this milk lukewarm twice a day, i.e. in the morning and evening for relieving asthma.
- Add two pinches of organic turmeric powder in lukewarm water. Take it daily to relieve symptoms of asthma.
- Add one teaspoon honey to a mashed onion (medium size). Eat this daily for asthma relief.
- Boil a glass of water with one teaspoon fenugreek (or methi) seeds in it for 5 minutes. When the water becomes lukewarm, add 2 teaspoons of honey and ginger juice to it. Drink this twice a day to detoxify your lungs that relieves asthma attacks.
- Take a medium sized bowl of mustard oil and add half a teaspoon of camphor to it. Warm it on low heat till camphor melts completely. Store this oil in an air tight bottle. Massage your chest and upper back 3-5 times daily with this oil to relieve asthma.
- Mix fresh pomegranate juice, honey and ginger juice in equal quantities. Mix them well and take this mixture at least 4 times a day. It will ease off symptoms of asthma.
- Add cumin seeds to boiling water and inhale the steam to relieve constriction n the air passage due to asthma. You may also add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to boiling water and inhale its steam to breathe better.
- Soak ten almonds or 4 figs in water overnight. Eat them in the morning to relieve symptoms of asthma.
- Crush three Indian Gooseberries and extract their juice. Add one teaspoon honey to this juice. Mix it well and consume twice a day to relieve asthma.
- Take 30 ml milk and boil it with 8 garlic cloves. Drink this milk once daily when it becomes lukewarm.
- Extract and mix two thirds carrot juice with one third spinach juice. Drink this mixture thrice a day for treating asthma.
- Add ten to fifteen drops of garlic juice to a glass of lukewarm water. Drink it daily to relieve asthma.
- Mix and store powdered dried ginger root, black pepper and long pepper in an equal ratio. Take half a teaspoon of this powdered mixture with half a teaspoon of honey with lukewarm water. Take it twice a day for asthma relief.
- Take one teaspoon of honey with half a teaspoon cinnamon powder at bedtime to avoid asthma flare up at night.
- Take one teaspoon of organic Sitopaladi churna with honey twice a day to relieve the bronchial constriction and cough due to asthma.
- Take 3-6 gms of organic Bibhitaki powder twice daily with warm water to relieve asthma.
- Take 3 gms of organic Vasa powder twice a day for unfailing asthma relief.
Asthma flare ups can be prevented by taking precautions-
- Practice deep breathing exercises and meditation daily to improve your lung capacity and keep stress at bay.
- Breathe in clean air; wear a cloth mask when you step out of the house.
- Avoid coming in contact with pets or furry toys in case of kids, keep your pillow cases and bedding clean and put them out in the sun every few days to kill dust mites.
- Avoid physical exertion or emotional stress.
- Keep your indoor surroundings free from house plants, rugs and carpets and dampness.
By applying these herbal home remedies and prevention tips, you can live an active and healthy life without asthma flare ups!
Warning: Always consult your doctor before trying out a new herb or home remedy. Chances are that you may be allergic to it.