Common causes of chapped lips:
- Exposure to dry climate and harsh sun rays.
- Using chemical based toothpaste.
- Vitamin B deficiency.
- Breathing through your mouth.
- Consuming more acidic food.
- Certain medications used to treat blood pressure, vitamin A supplements, etc.
- Skin disease like dermatitis, yeast infection.
- Apply sunscreen on your lips also before stepping out.
- Avoid repeated licking of your lips. Instead, apply a lip balm.
- Drink sufficient amount of water.
- You can apply shatadhauta ghrita or plain ghee or butter or coconut oil to prevent chapping.
- Use herbal-based toothpaste.
- Do oil pulling with sesame oil. Put about 1 tablespoon of oil in your mouth and gargle well till the sliminess in the oil is reduced. Spit it out and rinse with lukewarm water.
- Exfoliate your lips regularly with granulated sugar, honey and few drops of lemon juice.
- You can apply aloe vera gel directly on your lips.
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin B.