Diaper rash is a skin irritation, appearing as a red patch on the bottom of your baby. It is also known as irritant diaper dermatitis.
- Putting tight fitting clothes and diapers.
- Not changing the wet diapers timely.
- Repeated exposure to urine and stool.
- Bacterial or yeast infection.
- Administration of antibiotics.
- Redness of buttocks, thighs and genitals.
- Repeated crying.
- In severe condition, you may notice small blisters.
- Change the diaper immediately when it is wet or soiled.
- Clean your baby's bottom with lukewarm water and pat dry with a soft towel before putting a new diaper.
- Avoid putting tight clothing and plastic covered diaper.
- Keep the affected area dry.
- Don’t use the diaper always, allow the affected area bare to air dry. It will quicken healing.
- Use a bigger diaper and loose-fitting cotton clothes.
- Try using cloth diaper. If you are using cloth diaper, soak and wash in hot water to kill bacterias. Rinse twice to remove all detergent remnants.
- Give bath to your baby daily with lukewarm water.
- Apply aloe vera gel and breast milk directly on the affected area. This will heal the rash quickly.
- Massage the affected area with pure coconut oil or panchavalkala lepa before bathing.