Adolescent depression is a serious mental disorder seen in teens, characterised by emotional disturbance and persistent sadness.
Causes of Adolescent Depression
- Pressure in studies.
- Death of loved ones.
- Financial issues.
- Dispute in family and parents.
- Break ups and other issues in love affairs.
- Low self-esteem due to obesity, acne, etc.
- Lack of parental care and emotional bonding.
- Social or peer pressure.
- Hormonal and physical changes.
- Negative thoughts.
- Alcohol or drug abuse.
Symptoms of Adolescent Depression
You may notice the following symptoms in your children if they are suffering from depression:
- Feeling of sadness and loneliness all the time.
- Lack of interest in all activities.
- Crying without a reason.
- Easily Irritable.
- Mood swings.
- Suicidal tendency.
- Lack of sleep and appetite.
- Poor performance in studies.
Management of Adolescent Depression
- Educate yourself and other family members about depression in teens.
- Administration of antidepressant medication in severe cases.
- Cultivate the habits of doing yoga, pranayama and meditation regularly.
- If your kid is depressed, clear all hazardous and poisonous items from your home.
- Encourage and communicate with your kids regularly.
- Plan their activities and help them in managing their time.
- Build them a healthy friends circle.
- Support them for de-addiction, if they have drug or alcohol abuse.
- Encourage them to express their emotions like fear, anger, pain, etc.
- Don’t compare your kids with their friends, relatives or siblings.
- Set them reachable goals academically.
- Promote healthy habits like physical activities, good food habits and regular sleeping pattern.
- Involve them in sports activities, dance or music or art classes of their choice.
Ayurvedic Management of Adolescent Depression
In Ayurveda, therapies like Abhyanga, Shirodhara, Nasya are beneficial. The following Ayurvedic medicines are also very safe, non-addictive and effective: