Anaemia is a condition where you have less red blood cells in your blood than normal.
Normal range of RBC:
- For men- 13-16 g/dl
- For women-12-15 g/dl
- Nutritional deficiency like lack of iron, vitamin B12.
- Certain diseases like cancer, HIV, Inflammatory disease of intestine, kidney disease and inherited diseases like sickle cell anaemia, haemolytic anaemia, etc.
- Heavy menstrual bleeding or bleeding in stools due to fissure or haemorrhoids.
The main function of RBC is to carry oxygen, when it is deficient you may experience the following symptoms:
- Tiredness/ weakness.
- Difficulty in breathing even after mild exertion.
- Feeling giddy.
- Pounding heartbeat.
Home Remedies for Anaemia
You may try the following home remedies to improve your haemoglobin level:
- Soak 10- 15 raisins in water overnight. Next day morning, consume on an empty stomach.
- Soak 1tsp of sesame seeds in water for two hours, then strain and crush the seeds to get a paste. Add honey or jaggery to the paste and mix well. Eat this once daily.
- Eat 3-4 dried figs daily.
- Regular consumption of beetroot juice is also beneficial.
- Parsley is high in iron and folic acid. When preparing a juice you can add 1-2 tablespoon parsley.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Anaemia
Following Ayurvedic medicines are beneficial:
Dos and Dont’s
- Include spinach, curry leaves and other green leafy vegetables in your daily diet.
- Vitamin C is essential for absorption of iron from your diet. Hence, eat vitamin C rich foods like Lemon, lime, gooseberry, orange, grapes, papaya, kiwi fruit, pineapple, musk melon, strawberries, raspberries, tomatoes, capsicum, green chilli, peas, and broccoli regularly.
- Have a medium sized pomegranate (about 200 g) every morning on an empty stomach or drink a glass of pomegranate juice with your breakfast.
- Have legumes like kidney beans, lima beans, green peas, chickpeas and pinto beans all are good sources of iron.
- Include ash gourd or bottle gourd in your diet regularly.
- Eat nuts like peanuts, almonds and walnuts.
- Limit the intake of coffee, tea, chocolate.
Anaemia is commonly seen during and after pregnancy also. Hence, proper diet and supplements should be taken during pregnancy to avoid complications.
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products to cure anaemia, please click the links below: