Anti-Inflammatory Herbal Remedies Are Not New
Inflammation is body’s way of responding to an injury; hence it is not all bad. When it continues and escalates it turns into a pain. Herbs have been used for thousands of years to ease the swelling and pain associated with inflammation.
Here we list some of the most common and popular anti-inflammatory herbal remedies:
1. White Willow Bark: (Salix alba) this herb contains salicin which is used to make aspirin. This herb acts like natural aspirin. The effect of this anti-inflammatory herbal remedies take longer than aspirin but also last for longer duration.
2. Boswellia: Boswellia serrata is also known as Indian frankincense or Salai. It is found growing in Indian states prominantly in Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh & Andhara Pradesh. In Ayurvedic medical science Indian frankincense has been used for centuries for treating arthritis because it has potent anti inflammatory properties. These anti-inflammatory herbal remedies can be used as aspirin without making the stomach upset. This help is also helpful in reducing bad cholesterol.
3. Ginger: Ayurvedic medicine mentions the use of ginger as an anti-inflammatory drug. Ginger subdues prostaglandin synthesis by inhibiting cyclooxygenase-1 and cyclooxygenase-2. It works in a similar way a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory prescription drugs does. However, ginger has no strong side effects. Whereas, one major side effect of healing inflammation with prescription drugs is that they can cause ulcers in the digestive system. Ginger not only heals the symptoms of inflammation, but it also stops ulcers from forming in the digestive system.
4. Turmeric: turmeric’s most important health benefit is its anti-inflammatory properties. It is the presence of curcumin in turmeric that gives this spice its yellow-golden color as well as make it such wonderful for human health. The use of this spice specifically as anti-inflammatory herbal remedies go back centuries ago. In Indian Ayurvedic culture turmeric was used through either orally or rubbing paste on the skin. Turmeric anti-inflammatory properties are being studies scientifically as of date and are believed to be as strong as corticosteroids minus the harmful side effects.
5. Arnica: Arnica has potent anti-inflammatory properties that are used for treating injury, bruises, strained joints, muscles, ligaments, tendons & backache etc. Arnica is also best known as a pain relieving plant that also acts as excellent anti-inflammatory herbal remedies that reduce swelling. When blood vessels are damaged, blood rushes out and comes to rest in the surrounding tissue. This blood is responsible for black and blue bruise marks around injuries. Arnica also reduces these blue or black marks by assisting the body absorb this blood.
6. Neem: Neem plant is known to be one of the anti-inflammatory herbal remedies that can ease inflammatory skin problems, joint pain, and sore muscles. Amazing fact about neem is that all parts of this tree can be used for health benefits. Neem oil derived from its leaves or seeds have strong anti fungal, anti viral, anti bacterial as well as anti diabetic.
7. Basil: Basil has good properties which makes it one of the most effective anti-inflammatory herbal remedies for people who have arthritis. It does this in a way similar to aspirin. An oil present in basil known as eugenol stops the action of an enzyme in the human body called cyclooxygenase. This enzyme is a normal cause of swelling.
8. Aloe Vera: The anti-inflammatory properties of aloe vera works internally as well. When taken orally, aloe vera cools inflammation in the digestive tract. It may also be beneficial for other inflammatory problems.