Well, I am. I cannot take long bus journeys because I am not confident. I feel like going if my feet gets too cold or when there is no break for a long time. Then, I tend to drink very less water which is not very healthy. Once I had a strong urge to urinate during a road trip and the bus driver wouldn’t stop. It was three hours before he finally stopped after much cajoling from me and my bladder had begun to ache. From that day onwards, I refrain from road journeys especially in a bus.
A normal urinary bladder can hold urine between 400 to 600cc. A healthy bladder can hold up to 250 to 350cc before you get the urge to urinate. Your bladder sensations change with your age and elderly people have to empty their bladder at least once in the night. Many of us confront different urological problems in our life time and surprisingly we ignore the symptoms. On examination, it may prove that some of these may prove severe and fatal. Urological conditions include
- Urine Incontinence- Stress incontinence cause people to pass urine during activities like coughing, sneezing running etc. Urge incontinence will give your frequent urges to urinate which is uncontrollable.
- Urinary Tract Infections (UTI) – Many of us encounter a UTI at least once in our life time. The main symptoms of UTI are pain, a frequent urge to urinate and burning sensation during urination. They are not to be neglected.
- Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms (LUTS)- LUTS is related with benign prostatic hyperplasia or enlarged prostate in men, especially in their old age. Women may have it at any age.
- Bedwetting (enuresis) – Bedwetting is very common among little children. Only a doctor can rule out other urological abnormalities and disorders.
- Cancer – You have to be alert if you happen to see blood in the urine. Other than this symptom, a patient with cancer may also have frequent and painful urination, UTI, back pain and abdominal pain. But remember that this is a highly treatable condition.
- Interstitial Cystitis (IC) – One with IC will experience a lot of pain in the bladder and the surrounding pelvic region. The discomfort may vary from person to person. The pain may be anywhere between the navel and the inside of the thighs, in the front or the back. One may also experience an urgent and frequent need to urinate.
Homeopathic remedies are available to treat bladder trouble temporarily and to naturally support urinary system health.
- Sarsaparilla –the root of this plant mainly found in Mexico, Central America and South America has great medicinal values. It is carminative (expels intestinal gas), tonic (tones), diuretic (increases the volume of urine produced by the kidneys)and diaphoretic (increases perspiration). It helps to improve urinary tract health and to help get rid of complaints like painful urination, frequent urges and urine incontinence.
- Ferrum phosphoricum (D6) is a mineral compound of iron and phosphorus. It treats infections and inflammations, irritation at the neck of the bladder and stress incontinence.
- Apis mellifica (30C) is a remedy as old as the ancient Egyptian culture. This ingredient is commonly used for any burning, stinging pain (similar to bee sting), cystitis and urine retention.
- Equisetum (30C) again acts on dull pain in the bladder, frequent and intolerable urge to urinate, pain in urethra while urinating and so on.
- Cantharis (30C), is an old remedy that treats burning during urination, Urinary Tract Infections, and a constant thirst accompanied with an aversion to drinking due to painful, burning sensations during passing urine.
- Garlic is an excellent natural remedy for many of the bladder problems. Use fresh garlic cloves in food.