More than 50% of Indian women are anemic and a good majority of them do not realize it. At least 80% of the pregnant women all around the world suffer from anemia. Anemia at pregnancy is risky for both the mother and the unborn baby as it can lead to preterm labor and underweight in the newborn.
Not having enough blood cells is the root cause for anemia. Fatigue is one of the main characteristic of anemia which is caused by the insufficient supply of oxygen to the organs. And it is the red blood cells who are responsible for this failure. The deficiency of hemoglobin can lead to iron-deficiency anemia. Blood loss, Low blood cell production or the destruction of red blood cells materialize to us in the form of anemia. The symptoms of anemia include
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Pale skin
- Rapid heartbeat
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Cognitive problems
- Cold hands and feet
- Change in the color and smell of stool
There are many types of anemia with iron-deficiency anemia as the most common one. The others include Vitamin deficiency anemia, Sickle cell anemia, Aplastic anemia and so on.
You may become anemic due to your poor and imbalanced diet, intestinal disorders, family history, chronic health conditions and loss of iron due to menstruation or pregnancy. Vitamin deficiency anemia with lack of Vitamin B12 can eventually cause you a neurotic complaint and cognitive damages. But some types of anemia like sickle cell anemia may even result in death.
Now, what you need to prevent anemia and to reverse any damage caused by it is primarily a good supply of iron. Eat a diet rich in iron. Vegetarians can get their iron from beans and lentils, green vegetables, pumpkin seeds, dried fruits, whole grains, enriched cereals and pasta and more. Those who eat meat and fish may help themselves with clams, oysters, mussels, chicken and beef liver, eggs, sardines, tuna, shellfish, lean red meat and the like. You should take additional supply of Vitamin C and meat proteins to improve your iron absorption.
- As a simple step to prevent anemia cut short on your coffee and tea. Antacids also increase your consumption of iron.
- Using iron utensils for cooking help too.
- Get a good supply of organic meat like kidney and liver for vitamin B12.
- Take necessary milk products.
- Do not shy away from sun. Sunlight can increase the production of red blood cells.
- An apple a day can keep your doctor away, for a long time. Apples are a good source of iron. So is beetroot.
You can also find homeopathic remedies to avoid iron-deficiency.