Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is a serious, life-threatening condition caused by bacterial infection. It is a rare condition.
Causes of Toxic Shock Syndrome
- Staphylococcus and Streptococcus bacteria are the main causative organism of TSS. This bacteria enter your body through cuts/ abrasions/ burns/surgical wounds.
- In females, injuries caused during childbirth, retained tampons, diaphragm or other contraceptive devices precipitate the infection.
- Diabetic patients are also at risk.
Symptoms of Toxic Shock Syndrome
- High spiking fever.
- Appearance of red rashes.
- Low blood pressure.
- Nausea/vomiting and loose stools.
- Headache and muscular pains.
- Redness of eyes.
- Failure to timely hospitalisation leads to shock and death.
Management of Toxic Shock Syndrome
- Hospitalisation is necessary to maintain blood pressure, hydration and kidney functioning.
- Administration of antibiotics.
- Wound debridement.
- Bilwadi gutika can be taken after recovery and discharge from hospital to remove the toxic effects.
Prevention of Toxic Shock Syndrome
- Avoid leaving tampons in for a long duration. Please read the instructions before using tampons or sanitary pads and other contraceptive devices.
- Use sanitary pads instead of tampons.
- Maintain personal hygiene well during menstruation.
- If you have any wounds/cuts administer proper antiseptic care.