Nausea is the horrible abdominal sensation that makes you feel like, and often results in vomiting.On the whole it is an uncomfortable and unpleasant state of affairs. Yet in some ways it is good for us as it helps get rid of toxic substances.
Nausea is not an illness by itself but serves as a symptom for various conditions. Associated symptoms include stomach pain, dizziness and sweating. It is a reaction; our body’s way of telling us that an illness is present.
The reasons for nausea could be as diverse as food poisoning, dehydration, overloads on the liver, illness, medication, chemotherapy, excess drugs and alcohol, overeating, food intolerance, pregnancy, motion sickness, sea sickness and even anxiety or emotional stress. Figuring out which one applies to your case could take some time and an experienced doctor.
Ayurveda classifies the causes of nausea under two categories:
Primary causes of nausea:
- Ati drava – excessive consumption of liquid foods or liquids
- Ati snigdha – excessive consumption of unctuous or oily foods, fried foods
- Ahrudhyaihi – excessive consumption of incompatible or unsuitable (unwholesome) foods
- Ati lavana – excessive use of salt or salty foods
- Akala bhojana – untimely intake of food
- Ati matra bhojana – eating in excess
- Asaatmya bhojana – incompatible foods
- Shramaat – exhaustion
- Bhayaat – fear, panic
- Udwega – high end emotions
- Ajeernaat – indigestion
- Krimi dosha – infection
- Naaryaha aapanna satva – pregnancy
- Ati drutam ashnataha – eating food in hurry
- Beebhatsa hetu – anything which creates an awkward feel
Secondary causes of nausea:
It can be due to any underlying diseases like IBS-D, GERD, cough, fever, duodenal ulcers, food poisoning, cholera, urticaria, allergy, Renal stones, Urinary tract infections, jaundice and anemia. In these cases, the underlying disorder has to be corrected.
More often than not, you vomit once and it is over. But in other cases, it persists even after you feel like your stomach has been emptied. In such cases particularly, herbal remedies might come to your rescue.
A number of herbs can help with nausea. Taking these herbs in the form of tea gives you the three fold advantage of the benefits of tea, rehydration, as well as the boons of the herbal agent.
- Cinnamon tea: Cinnamon tea can provide relief from vomiting. Cinnamon, originally used as a treatment for fever and diarrhea, contains cathecins. These chemical called catechins have been implicated in nausea-relief. Cathecins are also found in cinnamon, barley, hops, olives, pears, strawberries, sage and even tea.
- Ginger tea: Ginger has volatile oils that aid digestion, soothes the irritated linings, and tones muscles of digestive tract. It has proved to be as effective as drugs in reducing nausea. To overcome motion sickness, take your first dose of ginger about three to four hours before your journey. Those who dislike the taste can dilute it with apple juice.
But do consult your doctor about using this if you’re undergoing chemotherapy. If your blood clotting ability has been impaired then ginger may not be the best idea. You can powder the ginger and add it to your tea, or simply drink a ginger ale.
How to make Ginger ale at home?
- 1 cup (225 g) sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) freshly grated ginger root
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.6 g) fresh granular baker’s yeast
- Make sugar syrup by boiling 1 cup of sugar in water.
- While it boils add the freshly grated ginger root.
- Strain the sugar syrup and add juice of one lemon and baker’s yeast.
- Keep it in a warm place for 48 hours until bubble appears on the top of the bottle.
- Store it in fridge after 48 hours.
This refreshing drink can be taken with fresh mint leaves to cure nausea
- Carminative herb tea: Carminative herbs are known to combat flatulence and soothe the stomach. They are recommended to treat indigestion and colic in infants. This category of herbs includes chamomile, dill, fennel, lemon balm, nutmeg, and cardamom among others. These can be taken with or in between meals, twice a day.
- Juice of amla : Amla is a rejuvenator and soothens the stomach. Juice of amla taken with honey cures nausea.
- Peppermint tea: Vomiting involves muscles spasms in the digestive tract and could be beneficial for nausea that occurs due to intestinal cramping. These can be ceased using peppermint tea which is a powerful antispasmodic. The lighter peppermint tea is better for use during pregnancy as compared peppermint oil.Apart from being used as a flavouring agent in tea, peppermint can relieve nausea in the form of an aromatic essential oil too. Mix a drop or two of essential oils of lavender, black pepper, peppermint, rosewood, chamomile, camphor and fennel with a tablespoon of ordinary vegetable oil. Massage this onto your chest and inhale the aroma.
- Juice of raisins: Juice of raisins with a pinch of cardamom is known to cure nausea.
- Intake of soup of popped paddy aids in better digestion and improves the digestive fire (agni) and thus cures nausea.
- Intake of buttermilk added with powdered dry ginger and roasted cumin seeds cures nausea.
- Taking sour fruits like lemon, orange and jamuns are beneficial.
- Add 1 tsp of ginger juice to 1 tsp of lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Intake of this mixture cures nausea and indigestion.
Psychological treatment of nausea/vomiting according to Ayurvedic classics:
For the treatment of vomiting caused by the mental disgust , the following steps are taken:
• Mano anukula – The person is made to hear pleasing talks
• Ashvasana – He is consoled and encouraged.
• Loka prasiddha sruta – He is made to hear reputed folk tales including mythological stories
• He is made to smell various types of pleasing perfumes, flowers, various fermented preparations and Sour fruits
• He is given to eat well prepared vegetables, eatables, syrups, Pickles, condiments and preparations in the form of paste or jam
• Eatables like vegetable- soup, meat- soups,popped cereals, different food preparations, fruits and roots having pleasing smell, color and taste cure vomiting caused by mental disgust
• In general, whatever smell, taste, touch, sound or vision is pleasing to such patients is administered even though some of these might be unwholesome, because the aliments caused by such unwholesome contacts can be treated easily.