Arthojoint is a polyherbal formulation containing potent anti-arthritic anti-rheumatic and diseases modifying Ayurvedic herbs. Arthojoint is a clinically-proven Ayurvedic remedy given in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
Guggul, Salai-guggul and rasna have been described as best anti-arthritic herbs in Ayurveda. Arthojoint is a blend of clinically proven herbal supplements having a wide spectrum of action, which makes it ideal for long-term treatment.
The salient feature of Arthojoint is that in addition to potent herbs, it supplies the Green Lipped Mussel Powder, which is a buzz-word in the field of rheumatology.
Classification of Arthritis in Ayurveda
- Aamvata (Rheumatoid arthritis): In Ayurvedic pathology, detailed description about pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis has been elaborated. Ama, the by-product of improper digestion is the root cause of Amavata. Vata, the body-air humour, carries the ama in the joint space resulting in clinical manifestation of rheumatoid-arthritis.
- Vatrakta (Gout): Vatarakta has been described as disease characterised by aggravation of vata, which further vitiates the blood. Based on the signs and symptoms mentioned in ancient texts, Vatarakta has been compared with gout (a disease characterised by high level of uric acid in the serum). It can present as acute and chronic forms.
- Sandhivata (Osteoarthritis): Sandhi refers to the joint. Vata as a result of wrong dietary habits and conduct gets aggravated in the joint space and produces pain, loss of function and morning stiffness, the hall mark of osteoarthritis. Since there is involvement of vata as gross level, the disease has been correctly named as sandhigat vata. Vata is responsible for cartilage- destruction and reduction in the levels of the synovial fluid in the joint-capsule. Osteoarthritis, which occurs with passage of age and due to wear and tear, is known as primary osteoarthritis. If there is reason other than degeneration, like injury or trauma, is known as secondary osteoarthritis.
Composition of Arthojoint:
- Green Lipped Mussel Powder : 230mg
- Bromellin Extract : 20mg
- Boswellia serrata Extract : 50mg
- Aloe Leaf Powder : 100mg
- Omega 3 Fish Oil : 30mg
- Silica Flo Guard : 20mg
- Magnesium stearate : 5mg
Pharmacology of main ingredients
- Gana or Classification according to Ayurveda: Eladi, Kshayaskanda and Purishavirenjynea.
- Family: Burseraceae.
- Botanical name: Boswellia serrata ex Coleb.
- Synonyms: Salai (Hindi), Gajabhaska, Gandhariva, Kunduruki, Mahiruha, Mothi, Sallaki, Susrava, Vallaki, Vanakarnika (Sanskrit), Indian Olibanum tree (English). Habitat: serrata is found in India.
- Morphology: serrata is a medium sized tree. Stem-bark is red or dusky and aromatic. Leaves are dentate and large. Flowers are small, aromatic and white coloured. Fruit is triangular having three seeds.
- Chemical composition: Pentacyclic triterpene Acids (boswellic acids) and oil (boswellia oil).
Structure of boswellic acid
- Rasa (Taste): Tikta (Bitter), Madhura (Sweet) and Ksaya (Astringent).
- Ruksha, Laghu, and Guna (Physical characteristic)
- Virya (Potent) Usna (Heat).
- Vipaka (Post digestive effect): Katu (Pungent).
- It Pacifies Pitta and Kapha doshas.
- Karma (Action): Purishavirenjynea.
- Therapeutics: serrata is given in the treatment of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and bronchial asthma. It is also given in skin diseases, chronic cough, chronic fevers and diarrhoea.
- Parts used: Oleo-resin.
- Dose: Oleo-resin (1-3 G), Decoction (50-100 ml).
- Several clinical studies appearing in journals have reported efficacy of serrata as effective anti-rheumatic agent. In two placebo-controlled studies, efficacy Boswellia serrata was studied in 81 patients diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. At the end of the studies, significant reductions in pain and oedema and pain were reported after 90 days treatment with B. serrata. No major side-effect was observed
Green Lipped Mussels
Green Lipped Mussels from New Zealand have widespread use in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. It has been argued that chemical-constituents found in Green Lipped Mussels have impact on improving mobility of the joint thereby reducing the incidence of the pain and inflammation.
Several research studies have proved it to be potent anti-inflammatory. Green Lipped Mussels contains array of phytonutrients and mucopolysaccharides helping in restoring the synovial fluid within the joint-cavity. Glycosaminoglycan is the ground-substance of glycosaminoglycan helps in the regeneration of the cartilage and minimising the process of degeneration. Here, the mode of action resembles with glucosamine.
Bromelain, an enzyme, is extracted from the pineapple which is a diseases modifying agent and helpful in management of autoimmune-diseases. The mechanism of action is similar to serratopeptidase, a mucolytic agent used in Allopathic medicine.
Technical detail of Arthojoint
- Trade name of the Ayurvedic medicinal product:
- 1. See above
- Pharmaceutical form:
- Clinical particulars
4.1: Therapeutic indications
Rheumatoid-arthritis and osteroarthritis.
4.2: Posology and method of administration
The dosage of Arthojoint is 1 capsule twice or thrice a day, with lukewarm water, by oral route.
K- Arthojoint is safe within prescribed dose. It is strongly recommend that product should be taken under strict professional supervision.
4.4: Special warning and special precautions for use
4.5: Interactions with other medicinal products and other forms of interaction
4.6: Pregnancy and lactation
Not recommended during pregnancy and lactation.
4.7: Effects on ability to drive and use machines
4.8: Undesirable effects
- Pharmacological properties
5.1: Pharmacodynamic properties
5.2: Pharmacokinetic properties
5.3: Preclinical safety data
The tolerability of Arthojoint based ingredients have been studied by means of multiple dosages in animal and human studies.
- Pharmaceutical particulars:
6.1: List of excipients
6.3: Shelf life
As per Ayurvedic Formulary of India
Arthojoint is a blend of time-tested, cost-effective and efficacious ingredients blessed with an array of properties, which make the formulation ideal for treating signs and symptoms associated with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid-arthritis. In addition, Arthojoint is devoid of unpleasant side-effects as is found in painkillers and steroids.
- Srurrock MD, Sharma JN, Buchanan MD. Evidence of rheumatoid arthritis in ancient India. Arthritis & Rheumatism 2005; 20:42-44.
- Sharma JN, Sharma JN. Arthritis in ancient Indian literature. Bull Deptt Pharmacol AIIMS, 1973; 8: 37-42.
- Dubey GP, Singh RH. A preliminary study on certain psychosomatic factors in cases of different types of arthritis. Rheumatism, 1967; 2:133-144.
- Shanbagh VV. Aamvaat (rheumatoid arthritis). Deerghayu Int 6: 11-12.
- Narayanaswami, V. Title: Rheumatoid arthritis (amavata). Nagarjun 1978; 21:18-19.
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products for relief from osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, please click on the links below: