Kidney stones are hard mineral deposits like calcium, oxalate and phosphorus that form inside your kidneys. They vary in size. A minute stone may pass on its own, cause some pain or no pain, while stones more than 3mm of size get lodged in the ureter and can block urine flow and cause bleeding or severe pain.
Types of Kidney Stones
There are different types of kidney stones based on their chemical composition:
- Calcium stones – Initially they are painless, when they may become painful is when they start leaving the pelvis of the kidney and enter the ureters. An individual suffering with hypo-thyroid or parathyroid can develop calcium stones.
- Phosphate stones – irritate the bladder and cause pain because of their rough quality. People who consume more potatoes, eggplant and tomatoes are at risk to develop phosphate stones.
- Oxalate stones – cause irritation, burning sensation and radiating pain from loin to groin. Individuals who eat more spinach, potatoes and tomatoes have a tendency to form oxalate stones.
You are more likely to get kidney stones if
- You inherit from a family having kidney stones.
- You are victim of recurrent urinary tract infections.
- You don’t drink enough fluids or if you drink more carbonated beverages, grape juice or apple juice.
- You eat more animal protein such as meat, eggs and fish.
- You have the habit of eating canned, frozen and fast foods that contain high levels of sodium.
- You consume foods rich in oxalate, such as spinach, rhubarb, nuts and wheat barn in large quantities.
- You have underlying medical conditions like hyperparathyroidism, chronic diarrhoea, inflammatory bowel disease, gout.
Symptoms of Kidney Stones
- Sharp pain radiating from lower back to the groin or genitals, lasting 20 to 60 minutes.
- Blood or pus in the urine
- Pain during urination
X- Ray or ultrasound examination or CT scan confirms the presence of kidney stones.
Small stones usually don’t need treatment. If you have a large kidney stone it is removed by lithotripsy.
- Chandraprabha vati, punarnava guggulu, punarnava, gokshura, K- crush, diuraven.
- Kashayams like veera taradi, bhrithayadi, varunadi are very effective.
- Kashayam prepared with bhadra, yashtimadhu, gokshura, punarnava, pashana bheda helps in flushing out minute stones.
- Kalyanaka kshara, sukumara lehyam are also effective.
Dos and Don’ts
- You should drink 2 to 3 litres of fluids per day.
- Drink watermelon juice with ¼ tsp of coriander powder or barley water regularly.
- Avoid the food that contains artificial sweeteners, preservatives and additives.
- If you have a history of kidney stones avoid the foods accordingly, depending upon the type of your kidney stones. For instance if you suffered with calcium stones, minimize the intake of calcium rich foods.
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products for relief from kidney stones, please click the links below: