Normal menstrual cycle should occur every 28 days and it can range from 21- 35 days also. Any deviation from the normal menstrual cycle is considered as a menstrual disorder.
Menstrual disorders include:
- Dysfunction uterine bleeding – abnormal uterine bleeding due to hormonal variation.
- Dysmenorrhea- Painful menstruation with abdominal cramps.
- Metrorrhagia – Bleeding in between menstrual cycles.
- Hypomenorrhea – scanty menstrual flow.
- Irregular menstrual bleeding – Menstrual cycle occurring at indefinite time period.
- Amenorrhea- Abnormal absence of menstruation for more than 3 months.
To regularise periods the following medicines and remedies can be tried:
- Gynaeven 2 tablets, twice daily before food with warm water.
- Kanchanara guggulu, rajapravartini vati, Chandraprabha vati are very effective in PCOS.
- Kulathadi kashayam 15 ml with 45 ml water twice daily 1 hour before food are beneficial in hypomenorrhea.
- Abhayarishtam, Ashokarishta, Kumaryasava in the dose of 15 ml with equal quantity of water, can be taken twice daily after food.
- For irregular periods/ less bleeding – Soak some horse gram in warm water overnight. Next day morning, strain it and drink the water on empty stomach. You need not eat the horse gram.
For painful menstrual cycles:
- Boil 1 tsp of ajwain in 1 litre of water, store in water bottle and drink frequently during periods.
- Include garlic, ginger, jeera, asafoetida in your regular diet.
- Regular oil massage with narayana taila and tub bath in hot water will ease the pain. (Oil massage should not be done during menstruation.)
- Aloe vera gel fried in ghee with cumin, coriander seeds and turmeric is made into paste and should be taken for 3 weeks twice a day with honey.
- To relieve cramps – Apply equal quantity of mustard and castor oil on the lower abdomen. Take 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel with 2 pinches of black pepper 3 times a day until cramps subside.
- Chew 1 teaspoon of roasted cumin seeds slowly and follow with lukewarm water to ease menstrual pain.
- Take 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel 3 times a day for the entire week before you expect your period to start.
During profuse or dysfunction uterine bleeding:
- Try drinking a glass of coconut water with ½ teaspoon of sugar candy or rice washed water (tandulodaka).
- Take Shatavari powder boiled in milk.
Following a healthy lifestyle with proper diet, exercise, meditation and yoga to de-stress yourself can definitely help you to achieve healthy menstrual cycle.
To get more information on and to buy ayurvedic products to relieve menstrual problems, please click on the links below:
Monthly Joy Capsules eases menstrual pain and replenishes nutrients.
Morpheme Retone Capsules for menstrual comfort