Tinnitus is a condition where you hear an abnormal noise or ringing sound in your ears.
Causes of Tinnitus
- Constant exposure to loud noise at work or in traffic or hearing loud music.
- Stiffening of ear ossicles (bones).
- If you are suffering with anyone of the disease like anaemia or meniere’s disease.
- Accidents causing neck or head injury.
- Impaction due to earwax.
- Certain medications like cancer medications, high dose of aspirin, etc.
- In old age, certain kinds of tumors and very high blood pressure.
According to Ayurveda, this condition is known as Karna naada which occurs due to the vitiation of Vata dosha, particularly prana vata. Excess traveling, being awake at night (lack of adequate sleep), irregular food habits, stress, emotional factors like sudden grief, fear, shock and strain are some of the reasons for vitiation of Vata dosha.
Home Remedies for Tinnitis
The following home remedies would also be beneficial:
- Eat more and more fresh pineapples. Pineapple reduces the inflammation in the ear, which in turn reduces tinnitus.
- Intake of cow’s ghee in the dose of 1 – 2 teaspoon daily pacifies vata dosha and also improves the strength of the cranial nerves.
- Oil massage with sesame oil or any medicated oil over and around the ears, scalp also pacifies vata dosha and strengthens the nerves and muscles. Hence, reduces the intensity of tinnitus.
- Regular practice of pranayama or breathing exercise is also an effective way to tackle tinnitus
- Instilling warm sesame oil or Deepika taila (2-3 drops) oil into each ear has also proved to be beneficial. This has to be done only under medical supervision, after thorough examination of ears.
- Soak 10-15 dry grapes in water overnight and consume it on an empty stomach the next day.
Herbs like amalaki, sariva, bilwa, bala, yashtimadhu, ashwagandha and gokshura are beneficial in the treatment of tinnitus.
Ayurveda generally suggests the usage of Mridwikadi Kashayam, Ashwagandha churna or Yashtimadhu churna in the dose of 1 tsp with hot water or warm milk at bedtime. Also Ardraka rasayanam or Kushmanda rasayanam 1 tsp, twice daily with warm water.
A head massage with Bala aswagandhadi tailam or application of Ksheera bala tailam over the crown of the head is also beneficial.
You can also undergo Ayurvedic treatments like Karna poorana, Abhyanga, Sirovasthi, Thalam and Nasyam for better results.
Lifestyle and Diet Changes
- Avoid cold foods, drinks and alcohol consumption.
- Eat more vegetables and fruits. Include garlic, sea vegetables and kelp in your diet.
- Eat foodstuffs rich in proteins, Vitamin B, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, choline and zinc.
- Manage stress by meditation and yoga.
- Avoid exposure to loud sounds and use of earphones.
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products for relief from tinnitus, please click the links below:
Bala aswagandhadi tailam
Ksheera bala tailam