Hemophilia is a genetic disorder inherited through X chromosome. It is characterised by abnormal clotting time, where you bleed more and sometimes it may be life threatening.
Symptoms of Hemophilia
- Uncontrolled bleeding even from small injuries.
- Bluish discolouration of skin due to bruises.
- Bleeding through nose.
- Internal bleeding may cause blood stained urine and stools.
- Painful joints.
Precautions and Safety Measures
Even though there is no permanent cure for hemophilia, you can lead a normal life if you take proper precautions and safety measures.
- Avoid sports activities which may make you prone for deep injuries like Football, Wrestling, etc.
- Even for minor cuts seek medical attention. Do pressure bandage immediately to prevent excess blood loss.
- For bruises apply cold pack or compress.
- Do regular exercises to strengthen your muscles and joints.
- Keep yourself cool.
- Avoid self medication even for minor illness like fever, cold, etc.
- Always carry a medical card stating you are Hemophilic.
Ayurvedic Management of Hemophilia
In Ayurveda, we can correlate this condition to Rakta pitta, where there is vitiation of pitta dosha. Hence, it is better to avoid pitta aggravating factors like:
- Deep fried oily foods.
- Spicy green chilly, capsicum, etc.
- Exposure to hot climate, steam bath.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
- Minimise the intake of urad dal, fermented foods like idli, dosa, etc.
Certain herbs like Anantamool, Chandana, Musta, Vasa, Mukta, etc. can reduce bleeding.
Avoid consanguineous marriage to reduce the prevalence of genetic diseases like Hemophilia.