Neck and shoulder pain are caused by various reasons:
- Muscle strain due to prolonged working in front of computer.
- Overuse of mobile and other electronic gadgets.
- Reading in lying position.
- Degenerative joints.
- Improper sitting or sleeping posture.
- Carrying heavy weights.
- Cervical spondylosis.
- Rheumatoid or Osteoarthritis or Extra bony growth (spur).
- Frozen shoulder.
- Nerve compression due to tumor or disc herniation.
- Trauma or injury.
- Other ailments like Heart attack, Cancer, Gallstones, Meningitis, etc.
Signs and Symptoms of Neck and Shoulder Pain
- There may be constant pain or pain increases after physical activities.
- Radiating pain from neck to shoulders or to hands.
- Abnormal sensation like pricking, tingling or numbness.
- Pain may be associated with dizziness or vertigo.
- Loss of muscle strength.
- Associated pain like headache or chest pain.
- Disability to do fine hand work like sewing, painting, etc.
An X-Ray or CT scan, Blood tests and Physical examination will help to find out the exact cause.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Neck and Shoulder Pain
The following medicines are beneficial:
- Prasaranyadi Kashayam, Rasnasaptakam Kashayam, Maharasnadi Kashayam, Ashtavargam Kashayam, Rasnadi Kashayam
- Cervilon, Arthronil capsules, Zeotone, Jointaid, Boswellia, Yogaraja guggulu, Trayodashang guggulu
- Joint aid oil, Ksheerabala oil, Mahanarayana taila, Prasaranyadi taila, Dhanvantara taila, Murivenna, Chinchadi tailam, etc for local application (massage)
Selection of medicines depend on the root cause. Along with medications few Ayurvedic procedures can be done: Nasya, Abhyanga, Patra pinda sveda, Kukkutanda twak sweda, Upanaha, Lepa, and Greeva basti.
Dos and Don'ts
- Include Turmeric, Garlic, Ginger, Sesame seeds in your diet.
- Avoid curds, oily, spicy,cold and refrigerated foods.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages and smoking.
- Regularly do exercises to strengthen your shoulder and neck muscles.
- Maintain good posture while working.
- Avoid carrying heavy weights, instead use trolley bag.
- Use appropriate pillow and sleep in good position.
- Use headphones instead of holding phone between your ear and shoulder.
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products for relief from neck and shoulder pain, please click the links below: