Adenoiditis is an inflammatory condition of your adenoids due to bacterial or viral infection. Adenoids are the lymph tissue similar to tonsils located in the throat region behind your nose. Usually children are the victims of adenoiditis.
Symptoms of Adenoiditis
- Sore throat
- Nasal sound while talking
- Difficulty in pronunciation of certain letters
- Breathing through the mouth
- Runny nose
- Difficulty in breathing through nose
Complications of Adenoiditis are sinusitis, ear infection and chest infections like pneumonia, etc.
Home Remedies for Adenoiditis
The following remedies would be beneficial for the management of adenoiditis:
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder and black pepper powder to a glass of warm milk. Drink before going to bed. It helps to relieve congestion, reduces pain and swelling.
- Add few drops of lemon juice and a pinch of pepper powder to a teaspoon of honey. Give this mixture to your child at least twice a day. Honey has strong anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, which reduce the size of enlarged adenoids.
- Mix one teaspoon of fresh ginger juice with a teaspoon of honey and two teaspoons of warm water. Make your child to gargle with this mixture for instant relief from pain and swelling.
- Mash fresh figs and mix with honey. Eat this at least once a day to speed up the healing process.
- Avoid drinks that are too acidic such as citrus juices, curds and buttermilk as these can aggravate symptoms.
- Avoid foods and snacks that are hard and crunchy such as chips, hard bread and nuts as these can increase the inflammation.
- Crush about 2 to 3 cloves of garlic into a fine paste and squeeze out its juice. Add some honey to the garlic juice in order to make it more palatable. Make your child to drink this juice very slowly, once a day.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Adenoiditis
These ayurvedic medicines would also be beneficial:
- Koldoff tablet 2 tablets twice daily
- Kanchanar guggulu and Sitopaladi churna with honey are beneficial
Ayurvedic treatments like nasya, dhumapana, etc., are also effective. If the symptoms still persist after a couple of weeks, it is ideal to consult a doctor personally and get a thorough examination.