Cholelithiasis is the medical term used for gall stones. Gallstones are formed due to condensation of digestive juice (bile) secreted by liver. These stones remain silent without causing any symptoms. When the stones obstruct the passage of bile juice, you may experience severe pain near right side of your stomach and right shoulder region, associated with nausea and vomiting.
Following are the factors which increases the chance of formation of gallstones
- Certain medications
- Eating diet rich in fat and low in fibers
- Having family history of gallstones
- Females in their forties are prone to gallstones
Complications of Gallstones
- Obstruction in bile duct or pancreatic duct leading to jaundice and pancreatitis respectively.
- Inflammation of gallbladder causing fever and pain.
If there are many stones with obstruction, surgical removal is mandatory.
In Ayurveda, following are the medicines suggested for gallstones
- Trayantyadi Kashayam, Varanadi kashayam.
- Trikatu churna
- Chinchadi lehyam and drakshadi lehyam.
Dos and Don'ts
– Include horse gram, radish, gooseberry, pomegranate, grapes, raisins, triphala, coconut water in your diet.
– Avoid heavy, oily, deep fried, fat rich foods.
– Minimise salt intake.
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products for relief from gallstones and other health conditions, please click on the links below: