Genital Herpes is a sexually transmitted disease. Herpes simplex virus is the causative organism. Those who have multiple sex partners are at high risk.
Signs and Symptoms of Genital Herpes
You may not notice any signs and symptoms initially. Two to ten days after exposure you may witness the following symptoms:
- Pain and itching
- Enlargement of lymphnodes in genital region
- Small red/ white blisters
- Rupture of blisters leads to ulcer/ sore formation
Complications of Genital Herpes
- Infection may pass from infected mother to newborn during childbirth.
- Infection may spread to bladder, rectum, in advance stage it may also reach brain and spinal cord through cerebrospinal fluid.
Ayurveda suggests the usage of following medicines-
- Aragwadhadi Kashayam tab, Tiktakam Kashayam tab, Nimbadi Kashayam, etc in the dose of 2 tablets twice daily, 1 hour before food.
- Panchanimbadi gutika (2-0-2) or Neem capsules along with the above medicine.
- Shatadhauta ghrita/ Panchavalkala lepa/ Sudarshana churna/ Triphala churna paste may be used for local application.
- A decoction made by soaking some triphala powder or panchavalkala kwatha churna in water, should be used for washing the affected areas.
You may also try the following home remedies for beneficial results-
- Regular application of aloe vera gel is beneficial.
- Take a tea bag, dip it in water and place it on the affected area. Leave it for 10 min. Repeat 3-4 times a day.Tannic acid in tea provides relief from itching and burning sensation.
Dos and Don’ts
- Avoid sour, fermented and salty food items.
- Avoid strenuous exercise and exposure to hot sunlight.
- Avoid curd, horse gram, sesame, capsicum, green chillies and pickles.
- Consume more bitter vegetables like different kinds of gourds. Include raisins, pomegranate, dates.
- Maintain personal hygiene and avoid physical contact, as herpes is contagious and you may spread infection to your partner.
- If you are pregnant woman, inform your obstetrician about the infection without fail. So that you can prevent the spread of infection to your baby.
Chances of recurrence is very high. Hence, prompt and extended treatment is essential for complete cure.
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products for relief from genital herpes and other sexually transmitted diseases, please click on the links below: