Sinusitis is an inflammatory condition of your sinuses. Sinuses are the air cavities in your skull. Inflammation of these sinuses causes swelling of mucus membrane and interferes with mucus drainage.
Causes of Sinusitis
- Repeated respiratory infection.
- Deviated nasal septum.
- Extra growth like nasal polyp in the nose.
- Dust or pollen allergies.
- Infections in mouth like tooth decay, etc.
- Impaired immune system.
Signs and Symptoms of Sinusitis
- Difficulty in breathing due to blocked nose.
- Radiating pain in ears, upper jaw and teeth.
- Swelling around eyes and cheeks.
- Bad breath.
- Thick mucus discharge.
Home Remedies for Sinusitis
- Crush 2-3 cloves of garlic, mix with pinch of turmeric and 2 tsp of honey. Take this internally once daily.
- Fenugreek is an effective remedy for sinusitis. Drink an infusion or tea prepared of fenugreek seeds daily once.
- Fresh juice of onion mixed with honey relieves sinus congestion.
- Mix ¼ tsp of black pepper, long pepper and dry ginger each with sufficient quantity of honey. Take this mixture twice daily after food.
- Have 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger juice with 1 teaspoon of honey twice a day.
- You can also consume de-seeded and crushed amla mixed with cow’s milk daily.
- Practise Jala neti with saline water regularly.
- Keep warm compress on your forehead and cheeks. Inhale steam after adding few drops of eucalyptus oil.
- Burn the dry root of turmeric and inhale the fumes.
- Apply Rasnadi churna over the crown of your head soon after bath and massage gently. This will prevent sinus congestion. You can also apply rasnadi churna mixed with lime juice or warm water over the cheeks and forehead ,to relieve pain and sinus congestion.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Sinusitis
The following Ayurvedic medicines are beneficial in Sinusitis:
- Thaleesapatradi choornam
- Sitopaladi churna, Trikatu churna
- Dashamoolakadutrayam kashayam
Ayurvedic treatment procedures like Vamana, Nasya and dhoomapana are highly beneficial in case of sinusitis.You may consult an Ayurvedic doctor personally and get these treatment procedures done.
- Relieves chronic cough,sinusitis, asthma and allergic bronchitis
- Fights infection
- Boosts respiratory health
One-two tablespoons to be taken with milk or warm water, twice a day.
Not suitable for Diabetic patients. Or as directed by the physician.
Dos and Dont’s
- Avoid exposure to allergens and cool breeze.
- Dry your hair properly after hair wash.
- Avoid intake of refrigerated foods, curds, cold water and other beverages.
- Drink only hot or warm water.
- Include pepper, garlic, ginger, fenugreek and turmeric sufficiently in your diet.
- Practice pranayama (anulom -vilom, kapalbhati ) and Neti regularly.