The liver is the largest glandular organ located in the right side of your abdomen. The main functions of the liver is to produce bile, which is a digestive juice necessary for digestion of fat, helps in removal of toxins from your body, production of certain proteins in plasma of the blood and maintenance of the body’s metabolism.
Jaundice, Hepatitis, Fatty liver, Hepatomegaly (enlargement of liver), Liver abscess, Liver cirrhosis and gallstones are the common liver disorders.
Following are the factors which may precipitate the chance of liver diseases:
- Consumption of alcohol in large quantity.
- Drug abuse.
- Abnormal cholesterol levels in blood.
- Exposure to certain toxins or chemicals.
- Spread of infection from the infected person through unprotected sex, sharing needles or blood transfusion.
General signs and symptoms of liver diseases:
- Itching, yellowish discolouration of skin and sclera of the eyes.
- Nausea/ vomiting.
- Loss of appetite.
- Abnormality in digestion.
- Change in colour of your urine and stools.
- Pain or discomfort in your side of your abdomen.
Home Remedies for Liver Health
You may try the following home remedies for healthy liver and improve its function-
- Carrot juice is known to have benefits for jaundice.
- 4 gms of Indian gooseberry taken with water every day for 15-20 days, helps to regulate overall liver function.
- Juice of Guduchi taken daily on empty stomach, detoxifies the liver.
- Consumption of 5-6 ml of bhumy amalaki swarasa for 3-4 days is also beneficial.
- Pomegranate, raisins, coconut water, sugar cane juice, etc., can be consumed regularly.
Avoid pickles, heavy-oily foods ,sour-fermented foods, alcohol, smoking, self medications and minimise the intake of non vegetarian foods and salt.
Ayurveda for Liver Health
Vitiation of pitta dosha is the main cause for hepatitis, cirrhosis, jaundice, anaemia, or chronic fatigue syndrome.
The following herbs are found to be very effective in protecting the liver and curing all kinds of liver disease:
- Patola katu rohinyadi kashayam 2 tabs twice a day – 1 hr before meals.
- Bhringaraja powder 1 tbsp with honey twice daily before food.
- Vasaguluchyadi kashayam 2 tablets, twice daily,1 hour before food.
- Drakshadi lehyam 1 tbsp twice daily,after food.
- Chinchadi lehyam, 1 tsp at bedtime.
- Arogyavardhini tablets, Katuki churna, Liv 52 and Avipattikar churna are also beneficial.
Never neglect liver diseases as they may progress to liver failure, which is fatal.
Please refer to the following blog articles which mentions about natural ways to protect the liver.