Migraine is a type of headache characterised by throbbing or pulsating pain either on one side or both sides of the head, associated with nausea or vomiting.
Signs and Symptoms of Migraine
- Sensitivity to sounds and light
- Visual disturbance, light flashes or seeing blind spot
Factors which Precipitate Migraine Attacks
- Sleep disturbance
- Change in climate and environment
- Perfume or other smell
- Physical exertion
- Change in food or certain foods like cheese, caffeinated drinks, etc
- Certain medications
- Loud sounds
Ayurvedic Treatment for Migraine
The following medicines would be beneficial for migraine:
- Pathyaksha dhatryadi kashayam tablets, 2 tablets twice daily, 1 hour before food with warm water.
- Triphala churna 3 grams with honey twice daily is effective.
- Kalyanaka ghulam 1 tbsp with hot water should be taken in the morning. It is a laxative and can be taken once in 10 days.
- Anu tailam or ksheerabala tailam can be instilled into each nostril , twice daily.
- Balahatadi tailam or bhringamalakadi taila can be used for head massage regularly.
- Niargim tablets 2 tablets, twice daily with warm water is also beneficial.
Dos and Don'ts
Prevention is a better option. Hence, identify the precipitating factors for your migraine attack and try to avoid those.
– Do not skip meals – try to take meals at proper time.
– Relax yourself by practising pranayama and meditation.
– Avoid cheese and chocolates.
– Avoid exposure to AC (in excess)
– Avoid stress.
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products for relief from migraine, please click the links below: