Oral submucous fibrosis is a pre cancerous condition of mouth.
It usually occurs in paan/ betel nut/ tobacco chewers due to constant irritation and inflammation of mucous membrane. Good thing is, for oral submucous fibrosis home treatments are readily available – they just have to be used consistently.
Signs and Symptoms of Oral Submucous Fibrosis
Initially you get blisters similar to mouth ulcers. Later the mucous membrane of the mouth is replaced by fibrous tissue resulting in the following symptoms:
- Difficulty in opening your mouth.
- Change in your voice.
- Pain in ears.
- Impaired hearing.
- Difficulty in chewing and swallowing.
Once the fibrous tissue is formed it is not possible to reverse it. But further worsening of the blisters and ulcers can be prevented.
Dos and Don’ts for Oral Submucous Fibrosis
- Avoid tobacco or paan chewing
- Avoid alcohol consumption
- Avoid smoking.
- Minimise the intake of spicy foods, coffee and tea.
- Maintain oral hygiene.
Oral submucous fibrosis Home treatment and Ayurvedic treatment
- You can use Triphala Kashayam or Yashtimadhu kashayam for gargling, twice a day. To prepare kashayam, boil 1 tsp of Triphala churna or Yashtimadhu churna in 1 large glass of water till it reduces to half glass. Add ½ tsp of honey and gargle twice daily when it is still lukewarm.
- You can chew few tulsi leaves along with pinch of turmeric daily.
- Drink a glass of aloe vera juice once daily to reduce the burning sensation.
- If you have constipation take Triphala churna or Avipattikar churna with warm water at bedtime.
- Detoxifies the body
- Purifies the body
- Restores metabolic activity
- Removes the fibrous tissues in the oral cavity
- Restores nutrients in the body
#1 : Organic Haritaki Powder for Purgation (To be given for first 3 days at bedtime)
Dosage : 1 tablespoon at bed time with 2 glasses of lukewarm water.
After 4 days (Step 2-5 to be followed every day for 60 days)
#2 : Organic Pippali Powder (3 grams) has to be mixed with honey to make a paste. Take it on the index finger, and apply all over oral mucosa (inside of your mouth and your gums etc) doing a very gentle massage for about 10 minutes. Do this in the morning for 60 days.
#3 : Sudhabala Oil : Do a self-massage of the whole body with Warm Shirodhara oil 1 hour before taking a bath for the next 60 days.
#4 : KsheerBala Oil : Take 10 ml Ksheerbala Oil in the mouth and move it between cheek and throat. This should continue for as long as you can hold, preferably around 5 minutes. This garling will help you to secrete toxins into the mouth. Do not gulp down / swallow the oil. Please spit it out, as it will become white and toxic.
#5 : Dasamoola Rasayanam (Jam) : Take 1 tbsp twice a day after food for next 60 days. This will serve as restoration of nutrients in the body.
#6: Black Tooth Powder: Use this tooth powder to gently massage your gums and teeth, in the morning and at night.
After doing this for 60 days regularly, without any gap, you should see a 40-60% improvement in your condition.