Sciatica is a painful condition involving the sciatic nerve of one or both lower extremities. It is often associated with low back pain. The condition where back pain and radiating pain of the legs are found together is called Sciatica syndrome.
Causes of Sciatica
- Pressure on sciatic nerve due to herniated disc or bone spur.
- Fracture or any injury.
- Benign or malignant growth.
- Degeneration of lumbar spine.
Symptoms of Sciatica
- Varying pain. It may be mild or severe, radiates from lower back to knee or foot.
- Abnormal sensation like tingling or numbness.
- Weakness of the affected leg.
- Abnormal gait due to pain.
- Pain may increase after physical activities like walking, exercise or weight lifting.
- It may also affect your bladder and bowel control.
Diagnosis of Sciatica
Your doctor will diagnose after physical examination and SLR test. X -ray and MRI scan will confirm the diagnosis.
Ayurvedic Management of Sciatica
In Ayurveda, sciatica is referred to as gridhrasi and is said to be caused by the vitiation of Vata dosha.
The following Ayurvedic Therapies are done depending on the condition of the patient:
- Dhanyamla dhara
- Pathrapotali swedam
- Kadee Vasthi
- Vasti (This therapy can actually completely cure sciatica)
These therapies relieve the inflammatory changes and underlying causes of Sciatica, reduce muscle spasms and nerve compressions, strengthen and nourish the entire spine & supporting tissues. Usually the treatment period varies from 4 – 5 weeks according to the severity of the disease.
The following Ayurvedic internal medicines are beneficial:
- Lumbaton is a safe and effective medicine especially for spondylosis, sciatica related problems and herniated disc. It arrests the degenerative changes in the disc.
- Rasnasaptaka kashayam tablet, Sahacharadi kashayam.
- Yogaraja guggulu, trayodashang guggulu
- Ksheerabala taila given internally
- Sahacharadi tailam, murivenna, dhanvantara taila for local application
Dos and Don’ts:
- Avoid peanuts, bengal gram, rajma, potatoes, spicy food items, non vegetarian food, cold food and drinks.
- Avoid suppression of natural urges, heavy exercise, day sleep, night outs, heavy weight lifting and minimise riding vehicles and long journey.
- Try to reduce your weight, sugar levels and avoid constipation by proper healthy diet. Obesity and diabetes are major risk factors for sciatica.
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products for relief from sciatica and related ailments, please click on the links below:
Ayurvedic Products for Bones, Muscles, Joints and Nerves