The Uva Ursi leaves have been used to cure many ailments for centuries. The mention of this herb has also been noted in second century medical journals as an antiseptic, diuretic and astringent plant. This herb is also referred to as crowberry, bearberry, rockberry and even arberry.
Uva ursi was popularly used to cure bladder infections before antibiotics were discovered. The Native Americans used this herb to cure headaches, to cure scurvy and to provide relief in urinary tract infections. Now let’s look at some of the most amazing benefits of uva ursi aka bearberry herb.
The Benefits of Uva Ursi Herb:
1. Uva ursi herb is used as a tonic for strengthening body parts like kidneys, pancreas as well as liver.
2. This herb has been used to make the urinary passage more strong and tone it as well.
3. Uva ursi is helpful in preventing any postpartum infection from happening as well as spreading.
4. The astringent properties found in uva ursi herb are helpful in curing the problem of bedwetting.
5. Uva ursi is extremely helpful in treating chronic diarrhoea. The astringent property found in uva ursi is helpful in binding of the stool, which can help cure diarrhoea.
6. Uva ursi is popularly used in many nutritional supplements as it acts as a muscle relaxant. It helps in soothing the irritated or inflamed tissues and making them strong and tight.
7. The leaves of uva ursi herb have astringent, antiseptic as well as diuretic properties, these properties are helpful in curing chronic ailments like kidney stones, chronic cystitis and nephritis.
8. Uva ursi is helpful in neutralising urine acidity. It improves the flow of urine and helps in reducing water retention as well as bloating; this helps in reducing weight and maintaining it as well.
9. Uva ursi is helpful in treating inflammatory problems of the urinary tract such as cystitis or urethritis. When the juices of uva ursi moves through the urinary tract it helps in easing out any irritation and get rid of inflammation. Uva ursi also helps fight infections of the urinary tract.
10. The uva ursi is rich in an element known as allantoin which aids soothing of the tissues as well as repairing them. Thus, uva ursi is used externally to wash and clean cuts and scrapes just like an astringent. Allantoin is helpful in curing cold sores, vaginal infections and herpes. You can apply it externally for sprains in the back.
11. Uva ursi is a very strong diuretic and it helps in lowering high blood pressure. But make sure that you have more foods that are rich in potassium as the diuretic action can lower the amount of potassium in your body.
12. Uva ursi tea is helpful in treating ailments that are caused by bacterium like E-coli, mycoplasma hominis, Candida Albicans, Proteus vulgaris and staphylococcus strains. Uva ursi herbal tea can help in curing infections of the kidney, gout and kidney stones. Uva ursi is also useful in curing nephritis, back ache, dysuria, lithuria, pyelitis, cystitis and even bronchitis.
Note: Insufficient research on this herb raises some safety concerns; hence, pregnant women and lactating mothers must avoid it. One must also limit the dosage and must avoid any overdose of this herb. When taken in limited quantities this herb is extremely beneficial for health.