Endometriosis is a painful gynaecological disorder. But it is Treatable.
Endometriosis is a disorder in which the tissue that normally lines the inside of your uterus grows outside your uterus.
In endometriosis, displaced endometrial tissue continues to act as it normally would- it thickens, breaks down and bleeds with each menstrual cycle under the influence of female hormones.
This displaced tissue has no way to exit your body, it gets trapped. Surrounding tissue can become irritated, eventually developing scar tissue and adhesions.
Possible locations of endometriosis are:
- Ovaries(the most common site)
- Fallopian tubes
- Back of the uterus
- Front of the uterus
- Uterine ligaments such as the broad or round ligament of the uterus
- Pelvic walls
- Urinary bladder and ureters
When to suspect Endometriosis?
Pain: If you have severe pain during your menstrual cycle . It can range from mild to severe cramping or stabbing pain that occurs on both sides of the pelvis, in the lower back, rectal area and even down the legs.
Throbbing, gnawing and dragging pain to the legs are reported more commonly by women with endometriosis.
In addition to pain during menstruation, the pain of endometriosis can occur at other times of the month.
Pain can also start a week before menstrual period, during and even a week after menstrual period or it can be constant. Pain may occur during general bodily movements like exercise, standing or walking and with intercourse.
- Infertility: Inability to become pregnant despite of having unprotected sex for at least a year. Among women with endometriosis, up to 30% to 50% may experience infertility
Other symptoms: Diarrhoea or constipation, chronic fatigue, nausea or vomiting, headache, low grade fever, heavy and/or irregular periods, and hypoglycemia.
What causes endometriosis?
- Genetics: Endometriosis may be inherited from mother to daughter through genes, as it runs in families.
- Environmental toxins: These toxins may cause immune and hormonal disruption leading to endometriosis. Dioxin, a toxic by-product of industrial and consumer processes have been speculated to be one of the causes of endometriosis.
- Aging: Incidences of endometriosis have occurred in postmenopausal women, and in less common cases, girls may have endometriosis symptoms before they even reach menarche.
- Retrograde menstruation: It suggests that during a woman's menstrual flow, some of the endometrial debris exits the uterus through the fallopian tubes and attaches itself to the peritoneal surface (the lining of the abdominal cavity) where it can proceed to invade the tissue as endometriosis.
- Impaired immune system: While most women may have some retrograde menstrual flow, typically their immune system is able to clear the debris, prevent implantation and growth of cells from this occurrence. But due to impaired immunity, the retrograde menstruation causes endometriosis.
How is the presence of endometriosis confirmed?
If you are suffering with above symptoms, consult a doctor immediately. With Proper history, examination and few tests like pelvic ultrasound, Laparoscopy will confirm the presence of endometriosis.
Complications of endometriosis:
Include internal scarring, adhesion, pelvic cysts, chocolate cyst of ovaries, ruptured cysts, bowel and urethral obstruction. Current research has demonstrated an association between endometriosis and certain types of cancers, notably some types of ovarian cancer.
Is there cure for endometriosis in Allopathy?
While there is no cure for endometriosis, there are two types of interventions in Modern Medicine:
- Treatment of pain
- Treatment of endometriosis associated infertility.
In many women menopause (natural or surgical) will abate the process.
A woman without infertility can be managed with hormonal medication that suppresses the natural cycle and pain medications to manage pain, while an infertile woman may be treated expectantly after surgery with fertility medication or with IVF.
Why do modern treatments for endometriosis fail miserably?
Oral contraceptives and pain killers reduce the menstrual pain associated with endometriosis. They have their own side effects.
The surgical procedure, ablation of endometriosis, has shown high rate of short term recurrence after the procedure.
A hysterectomy (removal of the uterus) can be used to treat endometriosis in women who do not wish to conceive. However, this should only be done when combined with removal of the endometriosis by excision. If endometriosis is not removed at the time of hysterectomy, pain may still persist.
For women with extreme pain, a presacral neurectomy may be very rarely performed where the nerves to the uterus are cut. However, this technique is almost never used due to the high incidence of associated complications including presacral haematoma and irreversible problems with urination and constipation.
Don’t lose hope - There is an Ayurvedic Treatment for Endometriosis
The surprising truth is that there are treatments in ayurveda to combat the pain as well to improve the fertility in women suffering with endometriosis. Ayurvedic Treatment for Endometriosis is a much better alternative.
Endometriosis through the eyes of ayurveda:
The signs and symptoms mentioned in endometriosis are described in ayurveda under the heading of vataja yonivyapadh and udavartha.
Apana Vata is considered as the main functioning agent to maintain normal menstruation.
This is vitiated due to sedentary life style, lack of exercise, sleep, irregular sleep, stressful professional atmosphere, mental tensions and unhealthy food habits.
The deranged apana vata causes retrograde menstruation leading to endometriosis. Along with this, the other two doshas-pitta and kapha are vitiated leading to hormonal imbalance and abnormal growth of endometrium respectively.
Hence, the first and foremost step is to restore the physiology of these doshas through purification (shodhana).
What are shodhanas?
Shodhanas are detoxifying procedures like snehana, svedana, vamana, virechana and basti.
Benefits of shodhana in female reproductive system:
- Biological systems return to normalcy.
- Revitalizes body tissues
- Potentiates pharmacological actions of internal medicines
- Removes toxins
- Improves physiological functions and gut absorption. Also, improper metabolism is corrected
- Mental faculties, strength and vitality are enhanced
- Fine tunes the endocrine system (hormonal balance correcting hypothalamus-pituitary-ovarian axis).
- Promotive-promotes fertility, preventive-prevents recurrence and curative- cures from the root and rehabilitative too.
Snehana (Oleation): It includes external application of oil through body massage and internal administration of medicated ghee or oil like trivrit sneha, sapthasara ghritham, indukantha ghritham, etc.
Svedana (Sudation): It includes steam bath and tub bath with pain alleviating medicines like dashamoola.
How does body massage and steaming help?
They strengthen the body, improve circulation and remove obstruction in the minute channels, provide stimulation that helps to block pain signals sent to the brain. They also stimulate the release of serotonin, endorphins for pain management and also pacify vata dosha.
Virechana (Purgation): As a prophylaxis, mild purgative drugs like Avipattikar Churna, Vaishvanara Churna, Gandharva-hasthadi Kashayam, Sukumara Eranda taila etc are administered seven days before the onset of periods to control the pain. Virechana also helps to maintain the proper functioning of pitta dosha in the body through which it restores the hormonal balance and facilitates the downward movement of apana vata preventing the retrograde menstruation.
Basti (Enemas): It includes administration of medicated liquids through anal and vaginal route, like yapana basti, dashamoola ksheera siddha basti, gandharvahasthadi kashaya basti, dhanvantara taila anuvasana basti, etc. Yapana bastis perform both cleansing of niruha basti and oleation of anuvasana basti, which increases the receptivity of genital tracts to the entry of sperms, removes the obstruction in the passage and facilitates proper coitus without pain, thus improving fertility.
- During non bleeding phase, to reduce the endometrium growth in other sites, Varanadi Kashayam and mahatikthaka ghritham can be taken.
- To reduce the pain, vaishvanara churna, gandharvahasthadi kashayam, dhanvantara vati, triphala guggulu or punarnava guggulu can be taken.
- To reduce heavy bleeding pushyanuga churna is given with rice washed water.
- To improve the immunity, dashamoolarista can be used.
- To improve the fertility, ashokarista and sukumara ghritham are administered.
- Treats PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome or Disease
- Corrects Anovulation, Amenorrhoea
- Helps to Treat Thyroidism
- Treats Goitre
- Corrects Hormonal Imbalance
- Treats Endometriosis and Fibroids
- Enhances Female Reproductive Health
- Promotes weight loss
Dosage: 02 Tablets after breakfast and dinner, with warm water or as directed by the physician.
Buy Kanchanar Guggulu here >>
Home Remedies for Endometriosis
- Boil 1 tsp of ajwain in 1 litre of water, store in water bottle and drink frequently during periods.
- Include garlic, ginger, jeera, asafoetida in your diet.
- Regular oil massage with narayana taila and tub bath in hot water will ease the pain. (Oil massage should not be done during menses.)
- Aloe vera gel fried in ghee with cumin, coriander seeds and turmeric is made in to paste and should be taken for 3 weeks twice a day with honey.
- To relive cramps- Apply equal quantity of mustard and castor oil on the lower abdomen. Take 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel with 2 pinches of black pepper 3 times a day until cramps subside.
- Chew 1 teaspoon of roasted cumin seeds slowly and follow with luke warm water to ease menstrual pain.
- Take 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel 3 times a day for the entire week before you expect your period to start.
- For excessive menstrual flow or clots try drinking a glass of coconut water with ½ teaspoon of sugar candy or rice washed water (tandulodaka).
Say no to:
Unnecessary travel, excessive exercise, aerated drinks, curds, refrigerated, fried and junk foods.
Say yes to:
Relaxation, keeping calm, meditation and sound sleep.
The strength of Ayurvedic treatments is in its ability to remove the root cause of the disease rather than treating the symptoms. It improves body’s natural healing ability and brings back the state of equilibrium. Thus, Ayurvedic Treatment for Endometriosis has promising results for endometriosis where modern techniques remain largely unsuccessful.
Have A Question ? Speak To Our Doctor here >>
At Nirogam we make sure to give our readers professionally verified information that they can trust with their eyes closed. All our content is backed by studies and academic research from medical institutions & associations. Our editorial policy will give you more information about how we verify our content’s authenticity & accuracy.