“Battling Kidney Stones? This too shall Pass”
Here are 23 Time-tested Home Remedies for Kidney Stones
Kidneys perform the important task of removing waste products and excess fluids from our body through urine. They are instrumental in maintaining the chemical balance of our bodies. It goes without saying therefore, that healthy kidneys equal to a healthy body.
Kidney stones form when the kidneys are unable to process and throw out waste. Chemicals and minerals in the urine crystallise and form hard stone like masses. Basically the calcium in the body combines with oxalates or phosphorous to form stones. Uric acid in the body also contributes to forming kidney stones.
The size of kidney stones may vary from very tiny to as big as a grapefruit or a tennis ball. The smaller ones are likely to pass through urine unnoticed however the larger stones could stop the passage of urine and cause unbearable pain. Kidney Stones…The Science Behind Them gives you an additional insight into this condition.
Unfortunately modern lifestyles have contributed in a big way to increasing the occurrence of kidney stones.
Over the years more and more people are getting kidney stones because of improper diets, unhealthy lifestyle and the increase of toxic elements in water, soil, and air.
So much so, that they are now affecting young children too.
In general, men seem to be more prone to developing kidney stones than women.
The Causes of Kidney Stones
Stones form due to a number of reasons but some of the main causes can be:
- Unhealthy Diet – for example processed, canned, frozen and fast foods that are high in salt content.
- Food that is high in Oxalates or Oxalic Acid
- Food that is not easily digestible or high in animal proteins like meat, fish and eggs.
- Over consumption of Alcohol and Beverages
- Allergies, hyperparathyroidism, chronic diarrhoea, inflammatory bowel disease or gout
- Low intake of water and fluids leading to dehydration or Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
- Severe physical exertion
- Uncontrolled Blood Pressure
- No exercise
- Weight Issues
- Mineral Imbalances in the body
- Family history of kidney stones
- Suppressing urges to urinate
Pain, Pain Go Away
In kidney stones symptoms can vary from the unnoticeable to excruciating. Similar to undiagnosed gallstones, kidney stones may go unnoticed for years and not produce any symptoms. Smaller stones are known to pass out through urine without ones knowledge. Larger stones however are reported to cause unbearable pain.
Large Kidney stones usually give out very clear signs:
- Severe lower abdominal pain that radiates to your lower back, groin, sides and genitals. The pain can come and go in sudden and severe bouts lasting from 20 to 60 minutes and in some cases, for even longer. Usually it continues even after the stone has passed out.
- Blood in your urine – Bloody or abnormal colour of urine like pink, red or brown is a common occurrence.
- Cloudy and Foul smelling urine
- Uncontrollable urges to urinate – a persistent need to urinate frequently in small amounts along with a painful, burning sensation is commonly reported.
- Tenderness over the affected kidney.
- Nausea and/ or vomiting.
- Fever and chills.
- Extreme exhaustion and excessive sweating
Ayurveda Can Help – Medicines and Home Remedies for Kidney Stones
In Ayurveda, kidney stones are called Vrukka (Kidney) Ashmari (Stone). According to Ayurveda unhealthy diets and lifestyles aggravate all three Doshas namely, Pitta, Kapha and Vata. This creates toxins in the body which eventually result in the formation of kidney stones.
At Nirogam we have a variety of Ayurvedic remedies to relieve kidney stone pain, flush them out and prevent further formation of stones.
Kidsto-Quor helps in expelling renal calculi (kidney stones), burning micturition, crystalluria and urinary calculus. It is a very effective kidney stone treatment offering relief from kidney stone pain and other symptoms of kidney stones.
- Dissolves the renal calculi by restoring the crystalloid colloid balance.
- Expels calculi.
- Promotes smooth diuresis, relieves renal colic.
Kidsto-Quor is useful in:
- Urinary Calculus and crystalluria.
- Burning micturition.
- Prevention of post surgical recurrence of calculus.
- 01 capsule once/twice daily before meal.
- Packaging size – 60 capsules
23 Easy Quick Home Remedies for Kidney Stones
You may also want to try some home remedies that could help reduce the discomfort and treat less severe conditions without risking the side effects of allopathic medication. Here are the top 23 home remedies for kidney stones. You can also find more information at 6 Natural Remedies for Kidney Stones.
1. Water :
You should start with drinking lots and lots of water. This will help to keep your body hydrated and to flush out minerals and toxins that cause the formation of stones. More fluids make it easier for the stones to pass. A good sign of whether your kidneys are healthy or not is the colour of your urine. The lighter and clearer the colour, the more likely it is that all is well and that you’ve been drinking enough water.
2. Onion decoction :
Onions have antioxidant properties which prevent crystallization and further growth of kidney stones. This decoction can be made by boiling 2 to 3 small onions in a glass of water for about 15 minutes. Drain, add sugar and drink thrice a day for good results.
3. Lemon juice with Olive oil :
This recipe claims to help break down smaller kidney stones and flush them out. The citric acid in the lemon juice is known to help dissolve the stones while the olive oil acts as a lubricant. There are various versions, this is the easiest: ¼ cup each of lemon juice and olive oil, followed by 240 ml of water. To be taken two to three times a day.
4. Lemon juice with honey or black salt :
Lemon juice on its own in warm or plain water is said to be very effective for kidney stones. A dash of honey or sugar makes it healthy and more palatable. Some remedies suggest adding rock salt or black salt to this mixture to help flush out kidney stones.
5. Coconut water :
Apart from being a health drink, coconut water can be consumed to treat kidney stones. It has shown good results in breaking and flushing out the kidney stones from the body and to relieve burning sensation during urination.
6. Red Apple :
Apples are prone to oxidation and in turn very effective in the dissolution of kidney stones. Crush and extract juice from red apples. Drink it fresh without any added ingredients to help prevent formation of stones.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar:
This is known to be a remedy for many medical conditions including kidney stones. It is suggested that taking 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar can prevent formation of kidney stones. You may try the following prescriptions: 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with one teaspoon of honey in a cup of warm water. To be drunk a few times a day. A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar raw or with water every day is also known to be helpful.
8. Okra (Lady’s finger):
Okra is rich in magnesium and has great anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It helps to prevent the crystallisation of chemicals in the kidney and thus makes an excellent remedy for kidney stones. To use it effectively cut 3 or 4 raw Okra into small pieces and soak them in water overnight. Squeeze out the pulp into the water and drink up three times a day. This remedy is believed to relieve pain also.
9. Kidney Beans:
Kidney beans have been aggressively advocated for the treatment of kidney stones. Magnesium is known to alleviate symptoms in kidney stones and also to prevent recurrence. Kidney beans being a good source of magnesium are highly recommended as a home remedy. Here is what you can do:
Soak the beans overnight, boil in water or pressure cook. Strain the liquid, cool and drink throughout the day. Make a new batch the next day, don’t consume a stale concoction. Eating the beans too can give you your much needed dose of protein, Vitamin B and minerals which are essential for the health of your kidneys.
10. Pomegranate Seeds:
Pomegranate Seeds and the juice of pomegranate are considered effective remedies for kidney stones. Studies have shown that pomegranate juice may prevent the formation of kidney stones. Pomegranate is full of antioxidants and eating pomegranate seeds or drinking its juice on a regular basis can help keep your kidneys healthy.
11. Horse gram soup:
Horse gram soup as an accompaniment to crushed pomegranate seed paste is said to be very effective in treating kidney stones. To make the soup add a cup of horse gram to half a litre of boiling water. Boil until water reduces to 1/5th the amount. Cool, strain and drink with 1 tablespoon of the paste of crushed pomegranate seeds.
12. Organic Celery:
Both the vegetable and its seeds are believed to increase the flow of urine and clear toxins from the kidney. Raw celery or celery juice may help reduce pain associated with kidney stones.
Basil promotes fluid, mineral and uric acid balance in the kidneys. Basil tea, or juice with honey, taken a few times a day over a period of time is thought to help in expelling stones from the urinary tract and to maintain your kidney’s health. To make the tea you can steep 5 to 6 six basil leaves in hot water for 10 minutes, strain and drink with a teaspoon of honey. Chewing two to three basil leaves every morning can also help to flush out the stones. Basil juice can be obtained by crushing a few leaves and pressing through a sieve.
Watermelon helps maintain the acid levels in urine. It has high water content and is full of potassium. That is why it helps in cleansing the kidneys and flushing out kidney stones. Watermelon can be eaten, or its juice can be consumed for the necessary effect. Watermelon seeds steeped in hot water can make an excellent seed tea which can be drunk regularly. Adding a ¼ teaspoon of coriander powder in watermelon juice is also believed to be very effective.
Radish can be soaked in water overnight. The water if strained and drunk twice a day is a popular remedy for kidney stones. Juice of radish leaves is also beneficial. Additionally you can soak 2 teaspoons of radish seeds in a glass of water, boil and reduce to half. Strain and drink ½ cup of this twice a day to help in dissolving kidney stones.
16. Vegetable Proteins:
It has been proved that higher intake of animal proteins meaning poultry, meat, fish and eggs can make you prone to kidney stones. In this case it might be a good idea to cut down on non-vegetarian foods and rely more on vegetarian sources of protein like green peas, legumes, quinoa, almonds, beans, whole grains, fruits, green vegetables, hummus, soy, pulses, etc. Vegetable proteins are usually also a good source of insoluble fiber which prevent further growth of kidney stones and stop formation of new ones.
17. Figs (Anjir):
The use of figs has been suggested for kidney stones. Boiling two figs in a cup of water and drinking it on an empty stomach every morning could be helpful to dissolve kidney stones.
18. Tomato Juice:
Similarly tomato juice with a pinch of salt and pepper every morning is known to dissolve mineral salt deposits in the kidney thus preventing and relieving kidney stones. The fresh pressed juice, though more trouble, would always be preferable to packaged juices.
19. Citric Fruit Juices:
Citric acid has been known to help in breaking down kidney stones. It goes without saying that a few glasses a day of citric fruit juices like orange and lemon, lime and cranberry would help increase urination and assist the health of the kidneys. Additionally a few drops of citrus oils like lemon, lime, wild orange or grapefruit drunk with water can have beneficial effects.
20. Pineapple juice & Cinnamon:
A mixture of pineapple juice, cinnamon and nutmeg in water drunk first thing in the morning and before going to bed has therapeutic effects on symptoms of kidney stones. It cannot have adverse effects, so is definitely worth a try.
21. Aloe Vera:
Aloe vera has many healing properties. You might want to try a ¼ cup of aloe vera everyday to reduce urinary crystals which lead to the formation of kidney stones.
We’re sure you’ve never heard anyone say anything bad about grapes. For many years now grapes have been regarded as a good therapy for kidney stones for their diuretic properties. Eaten on their own or in juice form they can be very helpful to alleviate kidney stone problems.
23. Hot compresses and Baths:
Hot compresses and hot baths or massages in downward motion to relieve discomfort and pain can be tried. However it is always a good idea to consult an expert before trying massages.
Following just a few home remedies for Kidney Stones from above can go a long way in solving your problems.
If you’ve suffered from kidney stones once, you’ll agree that it is very important to make sure that you do not suffer from them again. Though there is no guarantee that they will not recur there are a number of things you can do to reduce the probability of them recurring. Here are some great ways to keep your kidneys healthy and to prevent the formation of kidney stones:
- At the cost of repeating ourselves, drink lots of water, stay hydrated, stay kidney stone free. The same goes for drinking healthy liquids.
- Avoid foods in high salt content
- Moderate exercise is advised however do not work out excessively and avoid saunas to prevent dehydration.
- Eat more fibrous fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid unhealthy foods like sugar, sugary drinks like sodas, energy drinks, processed food, alcohol, especially dark beers, black tea, chocolate based beverages and foods with high levels of oxalates.
- Studies have shown that foods high in calcium like dairy products may prevent stones. This is because they prevent the build up of oxalates in the body. It is important to note that the same does not apply to calcium supplements.
- Go slow on meats, fish, eggs and poultry which are likely to increase the amount of acid in urine.
- Foods high in magnesium prevent calcium from combining with oxalates and thus prevent stones from forming. Some foods like avocados, bananas, green leafy vegetables and pumpkin skins are very beneficial.
- Whole wheat bread and vegetable proteins like legumes, pulses and sprouted grains are a good alternative source of proteins, nutrients and fibres. They reduce the risk of forming kidney stones.
- No crash diets! Dieting is believed to increase the uric acid in the blood stream and thus increases the risk of kidney stones. A healthy balanced diet is the best way to stay healthy and prevent kidney stones.
At Nirogam we make sure to give our readers professionally verified information that they can trust with their eyes closed. All our content is backed by studies and academic research from medical institutions & associations. Our editorial policy will give you more information about how we verify our content’s authenticity & accuracy.