Muesli is primarily a breakfast cereal made from wheat flakes, oats, fruits and nuts. Muesli is a very rich source of vitamins
, proteins, fibre, trace elements and minerals.There are two kinds of Muesli, which are commonly used:
The dried muesli is the one that you often see and buy from the supermarkets. You can easily have dried muesli by mixing it in cold or hot milk, chocolate drink, yogurt and coffee. Some people also have it with water.2. Fresh
The fresh muesli is made by soaking oats overnight in plain water or fresh fruit juice and blended with fruits like apple or banana the morning after.Health Benefits of Muesli :
1. Muesli is loaded with soluble and insoluble fibre, which aid reduction in bad cholesterol levels.
2. The sudden fluctuations in the sugar levels can be stabilised with the soluble fibre present in muesli.
3. The oats and nuts present in muesli constitute a phytochemical known as lignans. This phytochemical agent helps in reducing the chances of breast cancer, ovarian cancer and prostate cancer.
4. Having muesli everyday helps a person reduce the dosage of antidepressant medication. In the long run muesli may be helpful in getting you off antidepressants completely.
5. Muesli helps in reducing and stabilising high blood pressure.
6. Muesli assists in curing bacterial infection at a much faster speed.
7. Muesli assists in maintaining the correct Body Mass Index if you have it for breakfast every day.
8. Muesli is an extremely rich source of minerals, which increases the metabolism of a person.
9. Muesli is a rich source of proteins, which help in strengthening bones and improving hair health.
10. The presence of insoluble fibre reduces the chances of cancer of the gastrointestinal tract by reducing carcinogens in it.
11. Muesli helps in preventing the accumulation of plaque.
12. Muesli helps in detoxification of the body.
13. Muesli helps in increasing the libido of a person.
14. Muesli is a very good source of calcium.
15. Muesli mixed with cinnamon helps in curing cold and cough and other related mild discomforts.
16. Having muesli with fresh fruits helps in making the skin healthier and increasing the glow of the skin.
17. The carbohydrates present in muesli provide energy for a longer period of time.
18. The presence of beta glucan in muesli helps in healing wounds at a much faster rate.
19. Muesli is helpful in reducing the chances of diseases of old age like arthritis or rheumatism.
20. Muesli being a good source of omega 3 fatty acids, aids in the development of the nervous system.
21. Fresh muesli is enriched with extra nutrients because of the fruits mixed in it, hence, it helps in strengthening the immune system and fighting seasonal ailments.
22. The presence of folic acid in muesli vitalises the red blood cells.
23. The fibre in muesli absorbs water and increases in size, thus, leaving very little or no space at all for more food in the stomach. After eating muesli you will not feel hungry for a longer time and will help you reduce weight.
24. The manganese present in muesli along with low saturated fats makes your heart healthier and protects against heart ailments.