Chenopodium album, commonly known as Bathua is a useful weed that is easily available in the North Indian markets. Bathua is known for its immense health benefits. Some of them as given below:
- It is full of vitamins (A, B, C), phosphorus, iron, potassium, calcium and fibre. It effectively treats piles and constipation.
- Wash your hair with Bathua boiled in water to moisten the scalp and remove lice.
- The leaf extract is known to cure intestinal worms. Consume 10 ml leaf juice with a pinch of rock salt after meals thrice a day.
- Apply a paste made of Bathua on burnt skin to soothe burn wounds.
- Chew raw leaves to cure mouth ulcers, dental pyorrhoea, bad breath and other dental issues.
- Bathua is rich in iron and is known to cure iron deficiency anaemia.
- It improves appetite, digestion and metabolism.
- Bathua has cleansing properties over blood. When chewed along with 2-3 neem leaves, it is known to purify the blood.
How to make Bathua ka Saag
Blanched bathua leaves – 3 cups
Green chillies – 6 nos
Garlic paste – 2 tsp
Mustard oil – 2 tsp
Water – as required
Salt – as required
Garam masala powder – 2 tsp
Garlic – 5 pods
Start by washing bathua in running water and then blanch the leaves. Place them in a blender jar and grind to make a coarse paste. Roughly chop green chillies in a small bowl and keep it aside.
Take a large pan, add mustard oil and heat it over medium flame. When oil bubbles start to rise, add cumin seeds and cook till seeds start to splutter.
Add garlic paste and mix it well with seeds. Saute for a minute and then add bathua saag and chopped green chillies. Sprinkle salt and mix the ingredients well.
Cook over low flame until oil starts to leave the sides of the pan. Sprinkle garam masala, garnish with garlic cloves and serve warm with paratha or roti.
At Nirogam we make sure to give our readers professionally verified information that they can trust with their eyes closed. All our content is backed by studies and academic research from medical institutions & associations. Our editorial policy will give you more information about how we verify our content’s authenticity & accuracy.