Know the Herb
Athisamharaka is a unique herb of its kind well known for its osteo protective property. It could be your herbal answer to fractures.
The literal meaning of the Sanskrit term “Asthisamharaka” is “that which protects the bones and saves it from destruction”. The plant has been mentioned in all ancient scriptures of Ayurveda as a general tonic and analgesic. With its bone healing properties it is included under “Asthi sandhaniya oushadha” in ayurvedic classics. This plant has become an indispensable part of folklore medicine and treatment.
The botanical name of this plant is Cissus quadrangularis belonging to the family Vitaceae. It is better known as harjora or harshankar in Hindi. The parts used of the plant are the steam and the leaves.
- Stomachic (digestive, carminative)
- Fracture healing
“ Vajravalli sara ruksha, krimi durnama naashini
Deepathyushna vipake cha sya, dvi vrushya bala prada
Asthi sandhana janani vata sleshma hara guru//”
According to Ayurvedic Scriptures Asthisamharaka
- Pacifies kapha and vata dosha.
- Joins the fractured bones.
- Is styptic in nature (arrests bleeding),is digestive and carminative.
- Regulates menstruation.
- Irregular menstruation and dysfunctional uterine bleeding: Crush the stem and leaves together, extract the juice, mix ½ ounce of this juice with equal quantity of honey and drink this twice daily to get beneficial results.
- Menorrhagia: The fresh juice of this plant mixed with sandalwood paste, ghee, honey (in unequal quantity) can be consumed .
- In fractured bones: A poultice prepared of the stem can be applied on the affected site for quick healing of the bone.
- Diarrhoea: The dried powder (ash) can be added to a little hot water and drunk.
- Fatigue, sexual debility and nervous weakness: Take a pinch of the powder along with a pinch of nutmeg. Mix the powders with 1 tsp. ghee and eat thrice daily for a week.
- Obesity: Take 2-3 pinches of the powder (ash) along with buttermilk or coconut water.
- Piles, ulcer, and stomach ailments: Take 2-3 pinches of the ash with 1 tsp. ghee, continuously for 2 months.
- Swelling due to injuries: Crush the plant and extract 1 cup juice. Add 1 tsp each salt and tamarind and boil the mixture. While bearably hot, apply on the affected areas.
- Earache: Juice extracted from the stem can be used as ear drops.
Churna: 3-6 grams.
Swarasa: 10-20 ml.
Formulations Using AsthiSamaharaka
- Laksha guggulu
- Pathya punarnavadi kashayam
- Valiya chinchadi lehyam
At Nirogam we make sure to give our readers professionally verified information that they can trust with their eyes closed. All our content is backed by studies and academic research from medical institutions & associations. Our editorial policy will give you more information about how we verify our content’s authenticity & accuracy.