Degenerative arthritis of the spine in the neck (cervical spine) can pinch nerves that can cause both neck pain and shoulder pain. Degenerative disc disease in the neck (cervical spondylosis) can cause local neck pain or radiating pain from disc herniation, causing pinching of nerves or cervical radiculopathy. Poor posture, trauma, muscle strain can all contribute to neck pain. Postural hypotension is indicated by symptoms of lightheadedness or blackouts, and is typically experienced when rising from a lying or sitting position. Neck pain can also result in vertigo.
An XRay or CT scan would help to reveal the exact cause or the condition of the spine.
If there is pain and stiffness and decreased motion of the shoulder I would recommend the following medicines:
Prasarinyadi kashayam, 2 tablets,twice daily, 1 hour before food.
Cervilon 1 softgel twice daily after food.
- Joint aid oil for local application (massage)
Along with these Ayurveda medicines some foods should be strictly avoided. The general dietary precautions for most Ayurvedic treatments should be followed:Avoid
Increase the consumption of
- foods that are oily and spicy
- non vegetarian food & food substances
- preserved foods
- bottled and canned drinks
- alcoholic beverages
- bakery products
- smoking.. etc.
- Sesame seeds
Best Ayurvedic Medicine for Neck & shoulder pain
Ayurvedic treatment procedures like shirodhara, shirovasti, abhayanga(massage), fomentaion, greeva vasti are highly beneficial for managing neck pain. Hence, it would be advisable to consult an experienced Ayurvedic doctor in your area and personally and get these external treatment procedures done.
“No-Pain Kit” for Joint Pains, Fibromyalgia, Muscular Back Pain, and Cervical Spondylosis
- Reduces muscle spams and inflammatory of the back, neck and shoulder region
- Gives relief from Cervical pain
- Pacifies excess vata
- Arrests the degenerative changes of the cervical spine
- Strengthen the para-vertebral muscles of the neck
1. Prasarinyadi kashayam – 15ml+60ml warm water, twice daily one hour before food.
2.Cervilon capsules – 1 capsule thrice a day after food.
3. Karpasathyadi thailam – for external application. Heat up or warm gently in your hands and apply liberally as massage oil. Allow to absorb into your skin for at least half an hour. Wash off with hot water if required after use.