Hair loss is a condition where you face abnormal hair fall due to various reasons. Hair fall may be sudden or gradual, temporary or permanent. An average of 100 strands of hair fall per day is considered as normal. It may extend upto 200-250 strands on the day of hair wash.
Common Causes of Hair Fall
- Hormonal imbalance like hypothyroidism, PCOS, increased androgen levels.
- Scalp infection, Dandruff, Scalp psoriasis.
- Nutritional deficiency like Iron, Iodine and calcium deficiency.
- Certain diseases like Anaemia, Typhoid, Diabetes and cancer.
- Few medications, after chemotherapy and post surgery.
- Post pregnancy.
- Stress, worry and anxiety.
- Improper hair care and lack of personal hygiene.
- Repeated Coloring, straightening, curling and other hair treatments.
- Use of harsh chemicals and other hair styling products.
Ayurvedic Management of Hair Fall and Premature Greying of Hair
Ayurveda considers mental factors like excessive anger, emotional disturbance and increased intake of fried, sour, spicy, salty, fermented foods, smoking, more intake of alcohol, tea and coffee as the reasons for hair fall and grey hair.
Such unhealthy food habits causes aggravation of Pitta and Vata dosha. These vitiated doshas gets lodged in the scalp leading to hairfall and premature greying of hair. Factors like excessive anger and stress are also responsible.
- A spoonful of white sesame seeds every morning can be a great source of magnesium and calcium. It is an effective hair loss checker.
- Mix Amla powder with lukewarm water into thick paste and apply on the scalp, leave it for 15 minutes then wash it off. This will promote hair growth and prevents premature greying of hair.
- Fenugreek can effectively prevent baldness, dandruff and hair fall. Add fenugreek to water and let it soak overnight. In the morning, grind it to a fine paste and apply it to the scalp. Leave it on for 30-45 min. Wash thoroughly with a mild shampoo.
- Take Amalaki or Triphala with 1 tsp of honey and ½ tsp of ghee at bedtime. It will reduce hair fall.
- Take an ounce of aloe vera juice daily before food.
- Drink fresh juice of carrot, alfalfa, lettuce and spinach for aiding hair growth.
- Include Iron, copper, Zinc and calcium rich foods in your diet like Green leafy vegetables, Dates, Raisins, almonds. You can take iron supplement Xerfer capsules
- Warm oil massage using either Coconut oil, Bhringamalakadi taila, Nilibhringadi taila, almond or Brahmi oil, helps to improve circulation, rejuvenates your hair follicles, cures scalp infection and strengthen the hair strands
- You can also take supplements like Saptamrita Lauha, Trichup capsules, Yashtimadhu churna, Amalaki rasayana, Chyavanprash, etc
- Use Aloe vera or egg white as natural conditioner
- Instead of chemical shampoos use Herbal shampoo or prepare your own herbal shampoo with Shikakai, Rita, Aloe vera, Methi, etc
- One of the most ancient and effective treatments for grey hair is to apply a blend of coconut oil and curry leaves. The treatment is pretty mild and you can do it on a daily basis. Just take 1/8 cup of pure coconut oil and ½ a cup of curry leaves on a sauce pan. Bring this mixture to boil at medium heat. Now, leave the pan aside and allow the mixture to cool down at room temperature. Next, tenderly massage this mixture into the hair roots and leave it for twenty minutes.
- Mix a cup of buttermilk with a handful of curry leaves paste. Apply this mixture on your scalp and massage softly. Leave it for thirty minutes and rinse your hair with a mild shampoo to prevent further greying of hair.
- Avoid pickles, more salt and spicy intake.
- Overcome your stress by Yoga, Meditation and Pranayama.
- You can undergo treatment procedures like Prachana, Shiro abhyanga, Lepa, Taila and Takra dhara.
Nirogam Hair fall kit for Balance pitta and Kapha, Premature graying of the hair, Hairfall, loss of luster of the hair
- Encourages rich and full hair growth
- Reverses premature greying and hair loss
- Calms Pitta
- Restores healthy shine to hair.
Neelibhringadi thailam : 200 ml
Bhringaraj Powder: 100 gms
1. Neelibhringadi thailam: Rub the warm oil gently on the scalp and wash off next morning or apply on the scalp and wash off after an hour.
2. Bhringaraj Powder: 3-6 grams of Bhringaraj Powder, mixed in one cup of warm water, can be taken twice a day as a general tonic. It can also be applied as a hair pack once in a week.
At Nirogam we make sure to give our readers professionally verified information that they can trust with their eyes closed. All our content is backed by studies and academic research from medical institutions & associations. Our editorial policy will give you more information about how we verify our content’s authenticity & accuracy.