“Itching” to get better?Ayurvedic Medicine for Eczema
(The word Eczema is mid 18th century modern Latin which comes from Greek ‘ekzein’ where ek means ‘out’ and zein means ‘to boil‘ so leading to ‘ek’ + ‘zein’ which means ‘to boil over’ or ‘break out’.)What do we know about Eczema?
Eczema is a skin disorder. The skin dries, cracks and forms reddish rash-like symptoms which itch incessantly.Though it normally affects children it can affect adults too. It is important to know that modern medicine defines it as a non infectious inflammation of the skin.How do you get Eczema?
Atopic or allergic eczema can be caused due to a number of reasons.Do you..
- Have dry, sensitive and easily irritable skin?
- Suffer from low immunity levels?
- Have a Bacterial infection?
- Suffer from hay fever, allergic asthma or similar allergies?
- Has there been a recent change in your environment?
If you answered yes to any of the above then that could be why you or your child has contracted Eczema.
Eczema could be a genetic condition too. Somebody in the family has it /had it and now so do you. Studies show that psychological stress or strain and allergies to chemicals, cosmetics and synthetic clothes could cause Eczema.
As per Ayurveda the root causes of Vicharchika or Eczema could be:
Food – the wrong combinations of different kinds of food
Habits – basic lifestyle patterns
Mental State of Mind – stress and strainHow do you make sure?
How do you know its Eczema? Some of the symptoms you should look out for are:
- Severe itching
- Irritated red rashes which ooze fluids
- Dry and flaky skin
- Scaly patches over elbows, knees, scalp, etc.
- Sore cracks in skin.
Some places where you may see Eczema patches are on the face, neck, hands and legs. Creases of the knees and elbows are usually affected in children.
The symptoms may not persist continuously and there may be times you feel like it’s healed. But Eczema often happens in cycles and it may flare and subside in turn.What can you do to treat it?
Though there are many allopathic treatments for this disease they all have long term side effects. So what do you do? Try Ayurveda! There are multiple ayurvedic medicine for eczema that are time tested and can provide much needed relief here.
Nirogam offers various Ayurvedic medicines that have anti bacterial and blood purifying properties which are very effective in treating Eczema symptoms.
What they additionally do is to help balance two of the three Doshas of our body namely,
Pitta Dosha (which regulates heat, metabolism and transformation in the mind and body)
Kapha Dosha (which regulates the structure and lubrication in the mind and body)
Both of the above are the main Doshas responsible for this disease.Oral Ayurvedic Medicine for Eczema:
Some of our oral products for treatment of Eczema are
Ayurvedic Medicines for Eczema – local application:
The affected areas need cleaning and soothing to relieve the itch and for local application you can try the following:
The best Ayurvedic method to treat Eczema are a combination of Raz Oil
and Organic Turmeric Powder. Raz oil can be applied locally to help relieve the itching and dry skin. Another excellent home remedy is the paste of a few Neem leaves crushed and mixed with a teaspoon of Organic Turmeric Powder.
Applied regularly on the Eczema patches its antibiotic and antibacterial properties can be very effective.
Raz Oil for Psoriasis & Eczema
Mode of application:
- Has anti pruritic and anti psoriatic effect
- Effective in managing fungal infections and eczema
- Manages dermatitis and all kinds of skin infections
Apply on the lesions of the skin after a bath and before sleep at night
Panchakarma for Eczema
- A teaspoon of Triphala powder soaked overnight in a mug of water, strained the next day and used to clean the wounds or the affected areas works very well to soothe and cleanse.
- A useful home remedy which you can try is to boil a few Neem (Margosa) leaves in water and use the water to wash the rashes. Margosa has anti-inflammatory properties and also helps to reduce the pain and kill bacteria.
Apart from the basic Ayurvedic medicines for Eczema, Panchakarma therapies are an excellent way to completely cure the disease from the root while using the above recommended medicines for temporary relief. Panchakarma works on the principal of detoxification of the body. Its aim is to remove the five toxins from the body namely: Vamana, Virechana, Nasya, Basti and Raktamoskshana.Dos and Don’ts?
- Avoid scratching. The affected areas can itch like crazy and it’s very difficult to stop children from scratching the inflamed skin. But if you try not to scratch it will help to prevent aggravation and flaring.
- Don’t let that skin dry! Keep it well moisturised with regular applications of any mild unscented oils like Olive oil, Neem (Margosa) oil, Flaxseed oil or Almond oil and natural moisturisers or home remedies like ghee (clarified butter).
- Avoid hot water baths. Use warm water instead to retain skin moisture.
- Gentle, mild soaps and body washes or natural cleansers like besan (gram flour) mixed to a paste with a little water will help to keep your skin moisturised and prevent it from drying and cracking.
- It would be a good idea to avoid contact with harsh solvents, soaps, detergents and synthetic products. Try using natural products as much as possible on your skin.
- Stress and anxiety could aggravate your condition. Try yoga, pranayama and meditation to stay calm and at peace. Stress management programmes might help too.
- Protect your skin. Dry climates could make your skin go dry. Avoid exposure to dry climates or cover up when you’re outside – that way you can avoid contact with dust and pollen too.
- Clothing – light, soft and breathable cottons are the best. Make sure they’re clean and try to avoid tight, thick clothes where your skin can’t breathe. If you sweat a lot change your clothing frequently.
- It would be a good idea to avoid spicy and deep fried food. Also yoghurt and certain pulses like Urad Dal for example might not suit your condition. If you can layoff the meat for some time that could help too.