Poor eye sight can be due to several factors:
- Excessive use of the sense organ – looking at computer screens/gadgets for a long time, watching TV for a long time, excessive reading
- Improper use of the sense organ – reading in dim lights/while travelling, Starring at the sun or bright light objects that will hurt the eyes.
- Malnutrition/ deficiencies
- Some hereditary disorders
Ayurveda provides several eye treatment procedures that are highly beneficial in the treatment of myopia. Here are a few:
1. Tarpana: Netra tarpana is a procedure that nourishes the eye and its supporting structures such as the nerves and muscles around it. Any medicated ghee such as the triphala ghritam or Patoladi ghritam in a molten state is poured into a compartment made up of flour around the eyes. This procedure nourishes the yes, strengthens the supportive muscle structures and corrects vision impairment. This procedure is carried out for 7 days or prescribed number of times as per the advise of the physician.
2. Aschotana: Pouring of medicated liquid drops into the eyes during the sunrise or sunset. This is done to correct the dosha imbalances associated with myopia that can sure pain, strain in the eyes, itching, etc,. This external therapy alone is not known to be a cure for myopia
You should personally consult an experienced ayurvedic doctor and get these external eye treatment procedures done. Tarpana, will definitely give you good results.
You can also take the following medicines:
- Triphala ghritam – 1 spoon twice daily on empty stomach (morning before food and at bed time)
- Saptamruta loha 2-3 grams with 1 tsp honey twice daily after food.
- Triphala powder – mixed with honey before sleep.
For improving eye-sight, you may try this natural home remedy:
Almond and fennel seeds remedy: Take equal amounts of almonds, fennel seeds and sugar candy. Crush the mixture, add 1 tsp of this mixture to 1 glass warm milk and drink this at bedtime. After having this, do not drink anything for 2 hours.
Triphala remedy : Triphala churnam containing the fruits of Hareetaki, Vibheetaki and Amalaki are mixed with honey and taken in the night before sleep. Triphala is known to balance the three doshas and also strengthens the eye.
Juice of amla or carrots in the morning is an effective remedy against vision loss. Include vitamin A supplements into your daily diet routine. Also take fish oil, eggs, milk, nuts, dry fruits, nut beans, cabbage, salad, green vegetables, lemon and fruits.
Eye Exercises: Exercise is the best way to improve eyes muscles and stimulate blood flow. Palming method: sit on a chair & keep you elbows on the table after that close the eyes and keep your hands on the eyelids, then slowly press upon and imagine darkness for five minutes and breath slowly. practice this over 3 times daily.
At Nirogam we make sure to give our readers professionally verified information that they can trust with their eyes closed. All our content is backed by studies and academic research from medical institutions & associations. Our editorial policy will give you more information about how we verify our content’s authenticity & accuracy.