Sciatica is a painful condition involving the sciatic nerve of one or both lower extremities. Itis often associated with low back pain. The condition where back pain and radiating pain of the legs are found together is called Sciatica syndrome.Causes of Sciatica
Symptoms of Sciatica
- Pressure on sciatic nerve due to herniated disc or bone spur.
- Fracture or any injury.
- Benign or malignant growth.
- Degeneration of lumbar spine.
Diagnosis of Sciatica
- Varying pain. It may be mild or severe, radiates from lower back to knee or foot.
- Abnormal sensation like tingling or numbness.
- Weakness of the affected leg.
- Abnormal gait due to pain.
- Pain may increase after physical activities like walking, exercise or weight lifting.
- It may also affect your bladder and bowel control.
Your doctor will diagnose after physical examination and SLR test. X -ray and MRI scan will confirm the diagnosis.Ayurvedic Management of Sciatica
In Ayurveda, sciatica is referred to as gridhrasi and is said to be caused by the vitiation of Vata dosha.The following Ayurvedic Therapies are done depending on the condition of the patient:
- Dhanyamla dhara
- Pathrapotali swedam
- Kadee Vasthi
- Vasti (This therapy can actually completely cure sciatica)
These therapies relieve the inflammatory changes and underlying causes of Sciatica, reduce muscle spasms and nerve compressions, strengthen and nourish the entire spine & supporting tissues. Usually the treatment period varies from 4 – 5 weeks according to the severity of the disease.
The following Ayurvedic internal medicines are beneficial:
Nirogam Sciatica Kit
- Effective In The Treatment Of Back Pain And Sciatica
- Treats IVDP And Lumbar Spondylosis
- Low Back Ache
- Pin in the hips, thighs and flanks
- Arthritic conditions
- Muscle twitches and stiffness
- Lumbar spondylosis
- Muscular and nervous degenerative conditions.
- Rasnasaptakam kashayam - 10- 15ml of kashayam + 60 ml of warm water one hour before food
- Sinduvarairanda thailam - 5ml with Kashayam
- Sahacharadi 21 soft gel capsules - 1 capsule after meals thrice daily with warm water
Dos and Don’ts:
- Avoid peanuts, bengal gram, rajma, potatoes, spicy food items, non vegetarian food, cold food and drinks.
- Avoid suppression of natural urges, heavy exercise, day sleep, night outs, heavy weight lifting and minimise riding vehicles and long journey.
- Try to reduce your weight, sugar levels and avoid constipation by proper healthy diet. Obesity and diabetes are major risk factors for sciatica.