Many people are not aware of the benefits of galangal root and how it can help us become healthier. It is a type of ginger like herb used primarily in the Thai cuisine and many other South East Asian dishes. You will come across three different kinds of Galangal root. Most popular form of Galangal is used in Thai kitchens and it is referred to as Krachai. Krachai was first grown and used in Southern parts of China for its medicinal properties. Now you will find galangal being used in many parts of south East Asia. Galangal is used as a spice in many cuisines more than a herb. But there are also many health benefits of galangal root that every person should take advantage of.
Galangal has a strong and sharp flavor resembling peppers. It resembles turmeric and ginger. It is also used in fresh, dried as well as powdered form.
Health benefits of galangal root:
1. Galangal has anti-inflammatory properties; hence the health benefits of galangal roots are helpful in treating arthritis by reducing the inflammation.
2. Benefits of galangal root are helpful in curing ulcers as well as inflammation associated with the stomach.
3. Galangal is good for the digestion process and the health of the stomach in general.
4. Galangal is used by frequent travelers to cure nausea associated with sick sickness and motion sickness.
5. Galangal is helpful in easing the symptoms of diarrhea.
6. Galangal helps is providing fast relief in abdominal discomforts and abdominal pain.
7. Health benefits of galangal root has been known to stop constant hiccup problem.
8. Galangal has properties that work against cancerous growth thus reducing risk of cancer and any kind of cancerous growth.
9. Benefits of galangal root is helpful in improving the blood circulation in the whole body especially the hand and the feet.
10. Galangal is rich in potent anti oxidants thus it is extremely helpful in shielding the body against damage caused by free radicals. Because of this property, benefits of galangal root is helpful in reducing the aging process and maintaining the youthfulness in everyone.
Nutritional information about the benefits of galangal root:
1. Galangal is an amazing source of fiber from food.
2. It is rich in iron.
3. Galangal is also a good source of sodium.
4. Galangal is rich in Vitamins like A and C
5. Galangal contains phytonutrients as well as Flavonoid. You will find beta-Sitosterol, Galangin, Emodin and Quercetin present in Galangal. These elements are naturally occurring nutrients present in foods that are plant based. They help in prevention and treatment of many diseases and ailments.
Use of galangal in cooking:
Galangal is commonly used as a flavoring herb in many dishes of Thai cuisines such as seafood and meat dishes. Thin slices of galangal are added in soups along with lime leaves and lemongrass for an exquisite flavor. Galangal is also a chief ingredient in many spicy pastas and sauces made with garlic and chilies. Galangal is harder as compared to ginger; hence people slice it first before crushing it, whereas ginger can be crushed directly without any chopping or slicing.
Make sure that the galangal roots that you buy are not wrinkled or dried up as they lack flavor. Galangal can be stored for up to three weeks if you keep it in a cool dry place. If you are storing galangal in the refrigerator then wrap it in wax paper to keep it moist and fresh.
Another interesting use or benefits of galangal root has been seen in perfumes and snuffs used by people in Middle East.
At Nirogam we make sure to give our readers professionally verified information that they can trust with their eyes closed. All our content is backed by studies and academic research from medical institutions & associations. Our editorial policy will give you more information about how we verify our content’s authenticity & accuracy.