Dandruff is a scalp disorder characterised by flaking or scaling of the skin of the scalp, itchiness and shedding of white powder over the shoulders. It is termed as seborrheic dermatitis. In Ayurveda it is termed as darunaka.Causes of Dandruff
Home Remedies for DandruffThe following home remedies would be beneficial in the management of dandruff:
- Dry scalp and too oily hair are one of the major cause of dandruff.
- Fungal infection
- Irritation due to hair care products
- Other skin problems like psoriasis, eczema, etc.
- Climatic changes
- Poor personal hygiene
- Make a paste of tulsi leaves and amla powder with water. Massage this paste on the scalp and let it remain for half to one hour, later wash your hair in lukewarm water.
- Add 10 drops of lemon juice to 1 egg white and beat well. Apply to scalp and hair, leave it for 10 minutes and wash your hair with mild herbal shampoo. Repeat this process once a week.
- Fenugreek is very effective in preventing dandruff, hair fall and baldness. Soak required amount of fenugreek seeds in water overnight and grind it into fine paste. Leave this paste applied on the scalp for 30 to 45 minutes and then wash it off. Continue this once or twice a week.
- Water boiled with few neem leaves can be used for washing hair.
- Heat 4 tbsp coconut oil with pinch of camphor, mix well and apply on the scalp, after 10-15 minutes you can wash.
- Fresh aloe vera pulp can be applied on the affected areas for beneficial results.
- Try using green gram powder or shikakai (soapnut) powder to wash you hair. You can use curds to mix green gram or shikakai.
- A paste made of triphala churna can be applied on the scalp.
- Tea tree oil can be applied on the scalp 10-15 minutes before hair wash.
If you are looking for Ayurvedic formulations to arrest dandruff and hair fall, you can try the following:
Nirogam All-new Hair Tonic Combo with Triphala and Neelibhringadi
- Reduces hair fall
- Nourishes the scalp and root of the hair
- Prevents greying of hair
- Helps fight dandruff
Nirogam's Hair revitalising combo consists of:
- Neelibhringadi Oil - 200ml x 1
- Triphala Capsules - 60 capsules x 2
- Hairaan Lotion - 30 ml x 1
- Neelibhringadi Oil : Apply every day 1 hour before bathing. Warm it up a little, and massage gently on your scalp
- Triphala Capsules: 2 tablets with a glass of lukewarm water 1 hour before sleep every night.
- Hairaan Lotion : Wash your hair, and apply this lotion 10-15 drops after every bath. This lotion nourishes your hair follicles and prevents greying.
Dos and Don’ts
Maintain personal hygiene by washing your hair every two days once with mild shampoo. Dilute the shampoo in water before using. Wash your comb, pillow cover and towels regularly. Avoid using others’ comb and towel. Oil your hair 1 hour before hair wash. Avoid going out with oily hair. Use suitable herbal shampoo and conditioner. Avoid experimenting with new hair care products.