Gangrene is a condition causing tissue death or necrosis due to lack of blood supply, which leads to oxygen, nutrition and antibodies deprivation to the tissues. Gangrene may also be due to infection.
Causes of Gangrene
- Uncontrolled diabetes.
- Atherosclerosis (arterial disease).
- After severe trauma.
- Weak immunity.
- Post Surgery.
Symptoms of Gangrene
- Black or bluish discolouration of your skin on the affected area.
- Offensive discharge.
- Severe pain.
- Persistent fever.
- Swelling or blister formation.
Medical and Surgical Management of Gangrene
- Necrosed tissue has to be removed by surgery to prevent the further progression of gangrene.
- Amputation is done in severe gangrene of fingers/toes or limbs.
- Skin grafting.
- Proper wound debridement.
- Administration of antibiotics.
Prevention of Gangrene
- If you are obese, shed your excess weight.
- Avoid smoking and tobacco.
- Maintain your cholesterol levels to prevent atherosclerosis.
- If you are diabetic, control your sugar promptly by medication, diet and exercise. Examine your foot regularly for cracks, cuts or any wounds.
- Wear proper fitting shoes and sandals.
- Trim your nails with care.
- Keep your skin well moistened, dryness may lead to skin breakage and precipitates infection. You can apply Aloe Vera gel or Nalpamaradi thailam or coconut or sesame oil.
- You can clean the ulcer with Panchavalkala kwatha or Triphala kashayam. To make triphala kashayam – boil 2 tsp of triphala powder in 2 glasses of water on a low flame, until the water reduces to 1 glass. The mixture adhould be strained once its cooled down.
- Internally Guggulu tiktakam kashayam or Manjishtadi Kashayam or Aragwadhadi Kashayam, Neem capsules and Triphala guggulu can be taken for quick healing.
- You can apply Jatyadi ghritam externally.
At Nirogam we make sure to give our readers professionally verified information that they can trust with their eyes closed. All our content is backed by studies and academic research from medical institutions & associations. Our editorial policy will give you more information about how we verify our content’s authenticity & accuracy.