Tuberculosis is also known as Koch’s disease, it is a serious bacterial infection that generally affects lungs, but can also affect bones, kidneys, brain, uterus and testicles.
Causes of Tuberculosis
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis is the causative organism of tuberculosis. It can spread from person to person through droplet infection, when infected person coughs, sneezes, speaks or spits.
- Weak immune power.
- People affected with HIV, undergoing cancer treatment or taking steroids are more susceptible.
Signs and Symptoms of Tuberculosis
- Repeated cough which lasts more than 3 weeks.
- Cough with blood.
- Pain and discomfort in the chest.
- Fever with chills and night sweats.
- Unusual weight loss.
- Decreased appetite.
- Pain and stiffness in spine and joints when bones are affected.
- Headache and meningitis.
Management of Tuberculosis with the Help of Allopathy and Ayurveda
Multi drug therapy- Combination of antibiotics is given for 18-24 months under RNTCP (Revised National TB Control Programme) using DOTS (Directly Observed Treatment Short Course).
To combat the side effects of anti tubercular drugs, the following Ayurvedic medicines can be administered as adjunct therapy to improve immunity and body weight:
- Ashwagandha churna
- Ashwagandha rasayana
- Aja ashwagandha rasayana
Prevention of Spread of Tuberculosis
- If you have active TB, you are capable of infection to others. Hence, keep yourself isolated till you cross the active phase.
- Cover your mouth and nose while coughing and sneezing.
- Keep your room ventilated well.
- You can wear a mask when people are around you.
- BCG vaccination in children will prevent the attack of TB.
Studies and survey estimated a loss of 43 billion and 100 million US dollars annually towards TB management and prevention. India is rated as the world’s third highest TB infected country. It is the responsibility of an individual suffering with TB to complete the treatment course and to prevent the spread of disease.
At Nirogam we make sure to give our readers professionally verified information that they can trust with their eyes closed. All our content is backed by studies and academic research from medical institutions & associations. Our editorial policy will give you more information about how we verify our content’s authenticity & accuracy.