Gastroesophageal reflux (GERD) is a digestive disorder characterised by reflux or backflow of your stomach content into your food pipe (oesophagus). It is commonly known as acid reflux or heartburn.
Causes of Acid Reflux or Heartburn
- Weak lower oesophageal sphincter.
- Few conditions like obesity, hiatal hernia, asthma, diabetes.
- During pregnancy.
- Delayed stomach emptying.
- Intake of certain medicines like painkillers, antihistamines, hypertension medications, antidepressants, etc.
- Pain and burning sensation in the chest. Burning sensation may extend up to your throat.
- Cough and sore throat.
- Hoarseness of voice.
- Sour belching.
- Lump sensation and discomfort in the throat.
- Include pomegranate, raisins, cucumber, cilantro, coriander seeds, fennel and cumin in your diet.
- Avoid consumption of chocolates, green chilly, capsicum, deep fried oily items, processed and fermented foods.
- Replace curds with buttermilk.
- Stop smoking and alcohol consumption.
- If you are overweight, try to lose excess weight.
- Don’t sleep immediately after food.
- Never overeat. Eat only ¾ th of your capacity.
- Avoid tight fitting clothes.
- Minimise the intake of coffee and tea.
- Don’t drink a lot of water immediately after food.
- Stress and anxiety may worsen your condition. Practise yoga, deep breathing exercise and meditation to reduce your stress and anxiety.
The following Ayurvedic medicines are beneficial in treating acid reflux or heartburn:
Nirogam Coolgut Kit for Hyperacidity , GERD and Heartburns
- Relieves acidity and gastritis.
- A powerful antacid
- Anti spasmodic
- Appetite and digestive stimulant
Avipattikar Powder: 3-6 gms with warm water before going to bed in the night.
Shankha bhasma: 125 mg with water/milk/honey twice or thrice a day.
Never neglect the symptoms of acid reflux. Repeated GERD may lead to a precancerous condition known as Barrett’s oesophagus.
At Nirogam we make sure to give our readers professionally verified information that they can trust with their eyes closed. All our content is backed by studies and academic research from medical institutions & associations. Our editorial policy will give you more information about how we verify our content’s authenticity & accuracy.